web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
6string Offline OP
OP Offline
KSU Software version: K24UT1.W10

Problem - Intermittently line 5 or line 6 (not Simultaneously) will ring in on the phones, but none of the phones can answer the call.
- The customer has to power down the system and turn it back on to reset it. This happens maybe twice a day.
- The problem does not follow the dial tone, meaning the problem started on line 5, then we switched dial tone numbers for lines 5 and 6. Then the problem appeared on line 6. However we then disconnected the dialtone from line 6 completly (thinking it was the telco. dial tone freaking the system out) but the problem happened again on line 5. I know very strange!

Troubleshooting steps taken so far - We replaced the cabinet and all related hardware then cold started the new cabinet. Programmed a fresh database and sent it to the system part by part and the problem returned.

I'm leaning towards Embarq's dial tone or the way the system in programmed. Lines 5+6 are in there own group (Group 880) so that certain phones can auto line select lines 5 or 6 only.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Is line 5 and 6 a totally separate company? maybe try putting them on line 1 and 2 for fun just to see what happens.

Maybe try putting some line protection on the blocks in case stray voltage is coming through and messing things up.

If you have not already make sure the system is on a UPS for additional protection. Also make sure the system is properly grounded.

Also, I might try duplicating lines 5 and 6 and plugging in an analog line to see if they get any odd ringing from the analog phones or if the problem is isolated to just the system.

www.tspa.us
Tri-State Voice and Data Servicing Tadiran, Nortel, and Avaya; in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas.
6string Offline OP
OP Offline
The business is a special needs home. Lines 5 and 6 are for residents. Lines 1 and 2 are for the admin staff and there currently isn't dial tone connected to 3 and 4.
The residents can only access Lines 5 and 6 and they want to auto line select them. So the group 880 was created for access on there phones. Moving them to lines 1 and 2 will create issues with the line access. I thought about doing that though, but didn't because of the access issue. The residents can not use the admin lines because of privacy issues.
* There is line and power protection installed.
* The system is grounded through the Panamax protection per the Panamax specs.
* I checked the voltage on all the lines and it seems to be consistent. Roughly 85 volts when ringing.

Thanks for your input!

Is it the ICE phones ringing, the SLT, or both? What happens if you move lines "5 and 6" to ports 3 and 4?

Steve

6string Offline OP
OP Offline
Steve - All ICE phones (12) and 1 analog cordless ring and they are programmed to do so on all the lines, however when the problem happens none of the phones can answer the call. If you press the line button it says "Line busy" or somthing to that effect. I'm not sure if a real phone call is triggering the problem. I did make many, many calls into lines 5 and 6 to try to duplicate.
Today I removed the Group 880 that I created for the resident lines. Now I have it programmed for dial 9 access and then I excluded Lines 1 and 2 from the dial 9 group. Works good, guess we'll see what happens.
I haven't tried moving Lines 5 and 6 to Ports 3 and 4 yet. I could try that next.

Thanks

Is it possible that a internal ext. (SLT or ICE) is placing an Auto Redial(PGM 78) on an external number? I know you can do that with an ICE (but I do not know if it would cause your problem)....maybe a resident or user is doing it and then forgets/does not want to say.

Have they tried to answer it from all ext.? Perhaps if the above is happening then only the ext. that placed the feature could answer the call....just an idea.

Steve

6string Offline OP
OP Offline
PGM 78 Auto Redial wouldn't cause the problem because the redial wouldn't be dialing the problematic C.O. ports. It would dial an external number. Usually when the issue occurs the staff is so tired of hearing the phones ring and dealing with the issue that they give up and reset the system. I thought maybe the residents were using the call back feature so they now when a busy line is free. That only re-calls the extension that chose the feature though. I know weird issue. I'll have to troublshoot some more and keep you posted.

Thanks for the suggestions and time Steve!

Problem was caused by defective CID card.

ElectSys Tech LLC
Hosted Phone Systems Solutions Provider
Allworx, Sangoma, FreePBX
Telephone & computer systems in the Jefferson City, Columbia MO area.
6string Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your help with this issue aweaver!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024