web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
hawk82 Offline OP
OP Offline
https://www.courant.com/news/nation-world/sns-rt-us-vermont-internettre75q35c-20110627,0,1110553.story?

slideshow:
https://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20110627_198

Code
HARDWICK, Vt (Reuters) - In Vermont's remote Northeast Kingdom an aging Belgian draft horse named Fred is part of a team racing to bring broadband Internet access to all corners of the state by 2013.

The horse, 14, and his owner, Claude Desmarais, 66, have been laboring up to seven days a week, over all four seasons, to haul miles of fiber-optic cable and rig it to telecommunications lines.

It is part of Governor Peter Shumlin's vow to get Vermont entirely wired for broadband and cell phones.

The man and animal are indispensable to cable and phone-service provider FairPoint Communications because they easily can access hard-to-reach job sites along country roads, which bulky utility trucks often cannot.

"It just saves so much work - it would take probably 15 guys to do what Fred and Claude can do," said Paul Clancy, foreman of a line crew from FairPoint. "They can pull 5,000 feet of cable with no sweat."

On a recent June day, the tall, burly man and his muscular workhorse toiled 10 yards off of a desolate dirt road in hilly Hardwick, Vermont. They were assisting a work crew manning trucks and together they lashed cable to existing aerial utility line strung along wooden power poles.

As Desmarais murmured a signal, Fred tugged a length of cable from a mammoth truck-mounted reel. With a pull, the cable rose to a lineman, who looped it through a "lasher," or a device that slides along the aerial line. By this method, the new cable was linked up to it as Fred ambled along.

The Belgian horse was outfitted with an old-fashioned draft harness and, attached behind that, an iron whippletree, which is a mechanism used for pulling.

With this gear, the effort seemed more like a glimpse of ancient farm work than a means of achieving the very modern goal of universal internet access for Vermonters.

Governor Shumlin's "Connect VT" initiative this year was borne from his fear that the state's long-standing connectivity deficit, if not confronted, will relegate it to an economic backwater.

"Vermont lags behind the developing world and ranks 46th among the 50 states in connectivity," he said in his inaugural address in January.

Rewind to last century, when wiring largely rural Vermont for electricity proved to be an equally arduous process.

Because outfitting the state's rugged areas with a power grid was not profitable for utility companies, sparsely populated towns such as Victory and Granby remained without electricity until as late as 1964.

But today, with Shumlin promising $410 million in private, federal and bonded capital for the broadband project, firms like FairPoint, VTel and Burlington Telecom are working urgently to provide high-speed Internet to all 620,000 Vermonters.

Fred and Desmarais are getting the job done in Hardwick, about 25 miles north of the capital Montpelier.

Residents rarely complain when FairPoint utilizes the Belgian draft team to complete its jobs in the backcountry, Desmarais told Reuters in an interview, speaking in a muted Vermont accent that softens his "R"s.

"They like the idea of using a horse, instead of bringing in a bulldozer or something like that," he said.

"The horse seems to do less damage," added Clancy, the foreman. "Everybody smiles."

The draft team is especially nimble during seemingly endless Vermont winters, when the dense pack of snow and ice can reach four feet high. In those cold months, Fred can plow through it all like it's merely grass.

As for Desmarais himself, he gets around steadily but a little slowly since a hip was replaced in 2003. Usually, all that bothers him on the job are the occasional snakes, which he is deathly afraid of, he said.

On this day, no snakes show themselves, though, and Fred munches continually on grass in between turns pulling cable. If the horse needs a drink of water, Desmarais usually can find him a brook nearby.

Desmarais said few other such draft teams do this type of work. One friend of his, using another of Desmarais's horses, also has a contract with FairPoint at a separate location, he notes.

Some work days are longer than others, lasting up to 12 hours. But every evening, Desmarais and Fred clamber back into their truck and trailer, respectively, and return to Westmore, near the Canadian border, where the former dairy farmer grew up.

(Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Greg McCune)

Copyright © 2011, Reuters

I'm kind of surprised that the horse owner is required to wear a hardhat. :shhh:

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
PM sent to hawk82.

I Love FEATURE 00
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Well, what about the horse! Where's his hat? smile

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
That is cool... They probally make more money using Fred than using a truck. I love Vermont it's my favorite state.

hawk82 Offline OP
OP Offline
I wonder if they brought the draft horse(s) out again to fix all the cabling damaged by Tropical Storm Irene....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,791
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,125 Shoretel
188,989 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 89 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024