Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
In Arlington (the town I live in) the fire department has switched over to a wireless monitoring/reporting system. The old cable-based system is being/has been disconnected.

Here is a link to the system that the town is using:

https://www.sigcom.com/products/details/?id=6

Organizations can convert to the town's new wireless system, go with a private monitoring company or just have their panels go unmonitored.

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
It's a conspiracy to let the government do it's thing without interference from 'the great unwashed'! smile

I'll bet that the universal service tax won't be repealed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Originally posted by dexman:
In Arlington (the town I live in) the fire department has switched over to a wireless monitoring/reporting system. The old cable-based system is being/has been disconnected.

Here is a link to the system that the town is using:

https://www.sigcom.com/products/details/?id=6

Organizations can convert to the town's new wireless system, go with a private monitoring company or just have their panels go unmonitored.
Around here the FD does not do any monitoring it is all done by private central stations, the rub is the local fire marshal will only allow wireless or cellular as the secondary method. Primary must be POTS unless something has changed since I last looked a few years ago.

All commercial buildings must have monitored systems so going unmonitored is not an option

The fire marshal gave us (the FD) a problem about monitoring our own buildings via our own alarm loop till we proved to them a failure of the monitoring system woud generate an a "trouble" in the dispatch office within 5 seconds.

They wanted us to contract with a central station company so they coud call us by phone when one of our buildings had an alarm.

dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Now that I think about it, the monitoring is done back at the Community Safety Building as opposed to the fire stations themselves. The reason for the switchover is that it was felt that the cost of keeping the cables & related equipment was getting out of hand. The town has been removing call boxes because so many people have cell phones that the boxes are no longer needed.

Sorry for hijacking my own thread....Returning to the topic @ hand. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
It's not hijacking, it's a good discussion about what will happen when POTS goes away.

There are lots of devices that just do not work on VOIP, most cannot handle FAX. My Dish boxes take 4 or 5 trys to report my usage on Vonage.

The days of reliable 24X7 phone service will be over if it happens.

dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Both of my Cannon all-in-one units can fax, but fax machines are fast becoming a thing of the past. Documents can be scanned and sent as a pdf.

I Love FEATURE 00
We used to have direct alarm monitoring here in our city. The phone room in the basement of our city hall was COVERED in 66 blocks and wire. 5 years later they were totally empty as they no longer wanted the liability of directly monitoring alarm systems. I still run into the old dry loop wiring in the older office buildings though.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
This is Telecom News and we like to keep it very much on the topic of the news article. So let's stick to the news article and if other discussion is need around the other aspects of this let's start a new topic in the appropriate category. Thanks.

Retired phone dude
It's been worked out that the scrap value of the copper cabling in the UK local loop exceeds the value of British Telecom the dominant operator and owner of most of the local loop.

Only about 20% (retail) internet connections in the UK are cable; the rest are ADSL.

POTS may be losing popularity (13% UK adults live in a home with mobile but no landline phone) but the DSL services need copper to run over, and it's maintaining the copper that costs the money.

I can see some real problems with this. Spotty reception forget it. In this case, a couple died within 20 yards of there house after the phone dropped the 911 call 9 times.

https://ca.mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=03gekselflnu6

I get some really terrible reception in my townhouse even though the cell tower is only 4 blocks away!! with the dipole cell antenna pointing my way! the dropped calls has happened on the last 2-3 phones.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,454 Shoretel
188,308 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (pvj), 150 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024