Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
AMTC is a message on hold company based in Clearwater FL. The True-Value hardware store chain dumped Muzak (who they have used for years) as their supplier of in-store advertising and background music in favor of these guys. AMTC has a deal with Sirius for the music then they provide the advertising productions as well as their own player and a $20 Sirius receiver for each store.

Muzak was no problem. They provided the usual Muzak sat receiver, service and support. The music with in-store advertising inserts were put on private channels for True-Value. Customer had to do nothing.

The AMTC player is a real problem- it's designed for the audio from the Sirius receiver to feed through it on its way to the amp and duck it when it plays an advertising message. You need a tiny jewlers screwdriver to adjust the pots on the thing and you can never get the message level down to the music level. We had to replace the amp with one that had several inputs and did the ducking. So now we don’t feed the Sirius receiver output through the player. The MOH player, Sirius receiver and telephone paging each have their own separately adjustable inputs and the owner got a big bill.

The mp3 files have to be downloaded periodically by someone in the store from the AMTC site and put on a CF card that gets inserted in the player. That’s a PITA in itself but the BIG issue is something that I have never seen with any other MOH production company or any company that makes MOH players. The mp3 files are encoded and the player will only play their encoded mp3s! That means there is no way to listen to the like fifty files that you download to see what’s applicable to your store, what you don’t want etc. And there is no real way to figure out what file is what from listening to them play over the store PA at 10 minute intervals. So now they have winter bird seed on sale in May and specials on extension cords that they don’t sell. If it were anybody else it would be a simple matter to play them on the PC and delete what is not wanted before putting them on the CF card. AMTC claims they encode for security reasons. That’s kind of hard to believe because the players that they provide to all customers besides True-Value won’t play anything but their files. Sounds more like protecting their territory to me.

What’s also amazing is that True-Value chose these bozos to provide an unworkable method of providing in-store messages.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
I understand the pain Hal, AMTC is about 1/2 hour from our shop. I met a rep from the company at a business event and started to build a relationship, selling their MOH devices and signing up to install the Sirius units.

Like you said, the MP3's are a PITA due to the proprietary nature, you can listen to them on AMTC's player with a headset!!!(wow)!!

We dropped the Sirius installs almost immediately. The sales bunch sell the service and know nothing about the customer or their site or building. You get $75.00 for a normal install with pluses for multi floors and other situations. That installation price includes installing the Sirius antenna on an outside wall, above the roof height?!

They sell this stuff to a lot of people, they had installs lined up for us weeks in advance.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
hbiss Offline OP
OP Offline
You get $75.00 for a normal install with pluses for multi floors and other situations. That installation price includes installing the Sirius antenna on an outside wall, above the roof height?!

They have an install price list on their site. How the heck can you do that? It isn't just the sales weasels that think everything is the same.

I have to install an XM antenna (same as Sirius) next week. I have to get a roofer to install a pitch pocket on the flat roof after I make a hole for the conduit I have to use to support the antenna and contain the cable run into the building.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,737
Posts636,402
Members49,615
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
effedisk, hellbender, Pat Amaral, Zip
Newest Members
AMS Technology C, Chrontel, RonZ1971, Michael1948, lllDez
49,615 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
jsaad 7
Toner 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (Michael1948), 29 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022