web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#523912 04/25/10 06:01 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
OP Offline
Just curious....

If a fax switch is installed, can I safely assume that the given line will constantly be lit as if in use?

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#523913 04/25/10 06:07 AM
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
We have not done that with a fax switch, but with a fax on the last line set for auto answer the line on sets show in use when the fax is in use.

#523914 04/25/10 07:00 AM
OP Offline
That I understand, but IF a client didn't want to hear the phones ringing for in-bound faxes, you'd need a switch.

I know that I've seen some issues with certain Nortel 2-Line phones using a switch on line 2. Supposedly the circuitry is better on line one you we would have to set it up on line 1, and reverse the buttons on the phone itself.

That's why I ask....not that I need to know for usage locally.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
#523915 04/25/10 08:15 AM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Good question. I Think you might be ok but obviously a voltage drop will turn the line LED on. If the fax switch is putting out low voltage when it is idle, the LED just might light up. My documentation isn't handy but I also think the line LEDs light up prior to the initial programming. If I remember correctly, don't we have to turn unused lines off? I love this sweet little system but I need to get more under my belt to remember this stuff when I respond from home.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#523916 04/25/10 09:13 AM
OP Offline
I had a Line Sharing switch (not a fax switch) attached to a Nortel system a few years back and it wasn't putting out enough voltage to run the Interac machine. Of course, the tech insisting I give him a dedicated line, which I refused and made him change out his model of machine.

From reading the posts in other threads about C/Less phones, I just figured it might be the same problem. I can't test it here in Canuckistan, so my southern neighbours will have to.

Get selling those X16's Dave so you get the experience & make Ernie happy. smile

#523917 04/25/10 02:39 PM
Canuckistan?
:rofl:

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#523918 04/25/10 06:33 PM
Dave from Canuckistan, I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but I just set up a x16 with a BekTel LS3 fax switch. Called into the line that is connected to the BekTel and the x16. The BekTel answered the call, after a couple of phantom rings, the x16 phone rang and the line 1 light lit, and after I dialed the code from my calling phone to switch to the fax machine, the line light went out on the x16 phone after the fax connected. I was not able to barge in from the x16 phone on that line the fax was using. I got a busy signal.

Paul Lynch told me that they had tested a fax switch (not sure which one - maybe The Stick or Commswitch) with the x16. The BekTel seems to work fine, but I don't think they are made any more.

I have a couple of x16's on the shelf. System sales have been slow lately. I would like to make Ernie and Paul happy also.

Bob

With all the variables involved, I am amazed when any voice and data technology works like it is supposed to.
#523919 04/26/10 01:12 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Bob. That answers my question.

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,738
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,290 Shoretel
188,176 CTX100 install
187,019 1a2 system
Newest Members
andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo, highlysecptial
49,763 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 14
jc2it 4
dexman 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024