web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I did some work in an 80 year old apartment building on Friday. My customer had me remove all the old phone and cable wiring throughout the place; his security vendor ran new wire through the building. I came across several of these old intercoms in the apartments, and he let me take one of them. The only writing on it is 'Connecticut Tel and Elec. Co'
I hooked it up to my phone line at home to see if it would draw DT, and all it did was busy out the line. Unfortunately the one I got is missing the earpiece which is on a cord.
[Linked Image from i35.photobucket.com]

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Jeff, 1st remember, "Do No Harm". smile Anyhow, it'll need at least a network, other wise the mic and earpiece (once you get one) will 'lockup' from excessive current flow.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
OP Offline
I'm gonna take a picture of the back of the unit and post it.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
you might be better off posting this under Antique phones

Its a "antique " intercom

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
OP Offline
Could one of the mods move it to Antique Phones?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Sorry, it's not a telephone, so it won't work on a POTS line.

It's an intercom, and uses low voltage DC for talk, and low voltage AC to make the buzzers buzz.

Generally, the lobby instrument and any apartment instrument that goes off-hook are in series.

Signalling is over a third lead, via a button/buzzer arrangement.

The receiver units crop up from time to time on the ATCA or TCI forums.

You might try contacting a company who maintains these intercom systems, for advice and spares. There are many in NYC, and I would assume that they are also in other large cities.

These guys might be able to help:

LeeDan

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
Interestingly enough, I was at temple tonight, we had a service in the temple's old building from 1910 which is now a church. What did I see on the wall, but an abandoned Connecticut Telephone and Electric intercom...this looked like a master intercom, it had a dozen or so buttons labeled with different rooms on it. Pretty cool! The bell was partially removed and the speaker was blanked off.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Jeff -

While digging around in the dreaded basement I found one of those units. It's not exactly the same - it's surface mount, not recessed and has the bell on top and the receiver on the side. It's by "Loeffler" and not Connecticut, but I'm sure they're identical inside.

As Arthur said - DC to talk, AC to signal. I took this one off the wall of a Doctor's office on Central Park West. He had an office on the ground floor of an apartment building and this was the intercom to the front door.

He hated the look of this unit. He thought it made the office look old and frumpy. I was installing a 1A2 system and I tested the unit. I replaced it with a new 554 set with a 10 or 18v 1A2 system buzzer (I forget which). It worked fine.

At one time I had it hooked up as an "answer only" extension in the house. It worked then (33 years ago) and probably still does. If you want it, it's yours for postage.

If I can get it together I'll send you a picture.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Sam, in the continuing saga entitled "Sam & Art...separated at birth" I will tell you that I made lots-o-money going around to Dr's offices on the Upper Left Side wiring lobby intercom circuits into a spare appearance on 1A2 and later, EKTS.

This allowed the secretary and others in the office to answer lobby ICM calls from any station, and not have to run over to the ugly old lobby ICM station which was often in an inconvenient spot.

I used a 24 Vac relay to switch the ICM buzzer lead to GEN, and thence onto the Ring side of a 400D card, which operated the CMB ckt and the line appearance flashing lamp; and a 401A KTU, capacitively coupled to the ICM "T&R" of the ICM so the stations could have a balanced talk pair. (Often the lobby ICM was unbalanced.)

To do it right, it required two slots, so many times, I used a 259 KTU to get the extra slots, or replaced a shoebox with a 501.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Originally posted by Arthur P. Bloom:
I used a 24 Vac relay to switch the ICM buzzer lead to GEN, and thence onto the Ring side of a 400D card, which operated the CMB ckt and the line appearance flashing lamp; and a 401A KTU, capacitively coupled to the ICM "T&R" of the ICM so the stations could have a balanced talk pair. (Often the lobby ICM was unbalanced.)

To do it right, it required two slots, so many times, I used a 259 KTU to get the extra slots, or replaced a shoebox with a 501.
Arthur -

Very slick. Actually very, very slick.

I could see where you could make a few shekels off that gig.

Actually, wasn't there a KTU that converted an ICM circuit's 4 wires to a 2 Wire OPX? Maybe I'm confused

While you're puzzling that one - I have a very slightly related story (It really has very little to do with your story but it's still a good story - and it is slightly related). laugh

I once wired an intercom extension off a PAX board onto a spare position on a 565 set. Nothing special, except that it was the President of Bond's Clothing Stores office. We supplied the PAX, ITT supplied the PBX and we had dueling phones in his office. To make life easier for him I added the line to the K-Plan, but he still wanted to keep the CV. All went well till I went to convert the PAX 500 set to A lead control. That's when I found that the Blk/Yel pair in the mounting cord was wired to a radio transmitter in the set (the pair was being used as an antenna).

Someone was bugging his office.

What a bad day I had with Security and the Police.

I was tied up all day. My boss kept saying: "Why did you say anything? You should have just shut up and closed the phone."

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024