web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Does anybody know what this was used for?

https://cgi.ebay.com/BELL-SYSTEM-WH..._Fire_Protection&hash=item2a0e780c2d

Was it an auxiliary signaling device or bell? A town near me used to have a Western Electric ERTS (emergency reporting telephone system), and they had these devices mounted on telephone poles above each WE 570 call box (about 10 to 12 feet above the ground.) The call box telephones looked like this:

https://sc.infc.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2819&Itemid=19

Lou

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It was (is) a really loud buzzer.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
It is ac powered w/relay. It provided loud amplified noise to alert you of ringing.
When i say loud i mean loud. It was when the bell or EBL ring was not efficent to catch your attention. Dont remember the DB level.It followed the ringing pattern of the line. LOUD!!!

-TJ-
The relay inside has separate input taps that will accept 24Vdc, 18Vac, 48Vdc, or generator (90V @ 15 to 30 Hz) to activate it. The relay switches line current (117Vac) to the Klaxon.

Not just loud -- it will make your gums bleed.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Little off topic. I had a boss who complained he couldn't hear the bell chime we had for common bell. We were fine with it and only saw him once a month or so at the most. So we wanted to make sure he could hear the phone ring when we weren't there. So we mounted one under his desk on a TK6 switch we threw when he was there. He never complained about the bell chime again. Didn't come around much after that either. laugh

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Bill, we did that with my partner and his desk was METAL. Rang into it just as he was lifting a full cup of coffee while on break. You can image the mess it made, and the never ending string of practical jokes that got played on each other. laugh

As for being loud, yes they were/are very loud. In fact I just installed one a month ago.

In an extremely loud plant years ago, my dad was told they still couldn't hear it though, so he disconnected the bell or horn(forget which it was) and installed a light to it. Everyone was happy except the girl in the commercial office.....they didn't have a price code to charge the client, and she didn't have a clue what to do.

Back on topic, though....I fail to see why one would need those horns attached to a Fire Call Box, which were for out bound calls. :shrug:

Must have been one heck of a noisy neibourhood, if anyone ever got the line numbers for those laugh

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
OP Offline
Yeah, I'm not sure why they used them in that application either. Possibly the police rang back the station to verify and/or deter false alarms? They had an all volunteer department back then, and most of the old timers who were involved then are long gone.

I distinctly remember when I was a kid that they had red indicator lights above them as well. Of course the area was somewhat rural back when they were installed. They removed the system over 20 years ago and took down the boxes and the lights, but many of these Wheelock devices were left in place (and are still up on the poles.)

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Not just loud -- it will make your gums bleed.
Yes. It was JESUS, MARY & JOSEPH LOUD! eek

In an extremely loud plant years ago, my dad was told they still couldn't hear it
Of course not. They had all gone deaf by then! :rofl:

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
LOUD AS BELL (ha,ha, fooled you)

I'm with Dave's father, I've installed 2 as a tests, and wound up putting in revolving blue 'SUNs'. Just couldn't hear it reliably, it's tone and frequency were almost exactly the same as the machinery! That, and the last few I installed were not as loud as the older ones. And no, it wasn't my hearing going down the tubes, they were definitely quieter, confirmed in side-by-side tests.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,090 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (dexman, Keyset6), 128 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024