web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#525001 09/20/11 08:34 AM
OP Offline
Hi again!

This is about my latest phone restoration that I completed last night. It is a red C/D 500, date 2/72. The dates match, and it is not a "franken phone". The shell was a real PIA to bring back to life. I have never had such trouble polishing a phone. I suspect that the color might have something to do with it, but am not sure. It took forever to pop a shine on it. About twenty hours of polishing was required. I must say that it was in horrid shape when I got it. (It was an e-pay phone.)

I 'reverse wound' the handset cord, which tightened it up completely, however after many times in the dish washer and paitent hand cleaning, the cord still has a slight musty odor, but it is not noticible unless you take a big dog like sniff. The handset, on the other hand, was in excellent shape, and only took an hour or so with plastic polish and a terry cloth rag. Looks good as new. The last step was two applications of Turtle wax and hand polishing. A wheel never touched this shell, and I took great care with protecting the Western Electric / Bell System Property embossments.

Here are some photos:

[Linked Image from i83.photobucket.com]

This is the completed phone. I love the shade of red! (The Kotobuki phone cat was sitting on the back of the sofa as I photographed these. She wanted the attention on the phone... well, I guess the real reason that she did not feel like posing was she told me that she was having a "bad fur day"!)

Here is another shot:

And another...:

This last photo shows the cord that someone had thoughtfully cut the end off of. Shame, really...

I would love some suggestions as to what type of end would be appropriate for this cord!

Speaking of cords, this phone came with a four conductor, "fat" cord, so I am excited about the possiblity of incorporating it into my 1A2 system, someday.

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#525002 09/20/11 08:56 AM
Beautiful job as always, Joe.
I think you can just use a 4 prong plug with screw terminals for each wire. I have some in my dreaded basement but do not know the part number. You would then use a 4 prong to modular adapter.
I'll gladly send you one, they probably need cleaned though.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#525003 09/20/11 09:32 AM
OP Offline
Hi Jeff,

That sounds cool.

My next project is a green WE 500. Then I have a beige 3A speaker in possesion that needs the 'works'. After than, I will be looking for an auqua 500, then a black one with a clear dial.

Ah, the joys of being a phone addict.

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
#525004 09/20/11 12:52 PM
PM me and ill send out the plug and adapter.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#525005 09/20/11 01:04 PM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Be easier to crimp on a modular plug! 'just sayin' Obviously, the cord was replaced at some point. And connecting those wires in that flat cable to screw terminals.... good luck. That's that cotton/40ga copper wire superflex cable.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#525006 09/20/11 01:16 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I've done this many times and it is quite simple: Strip the wires neatly so as to not disturb the copper ribbon, but trim any outer threads of fabric. Leave the internal thread in place. Hit the whole exposed stripped area with a drop of Crazy Glue and allow it to harden. You can then gently form the ends of the wires into loops around screw terminals. A dab of white silicone grease will prevent the tightening of the screw from tugging too hard on the copper strand.

Of course, a pair of flat washers under the screw with the wire trapped in between is even safer.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#525007 09/20/11 01:16 PM
He can crimp lugs on the wire and put then under the screws.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#525008 09/20/11 01:44 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Lightninghorse:
Be easier to crimp on a modular plug! 'just sayin' Obviously, the cord was replaced at some point. And connecting those wires in that flat cable to screw terminals.... good luck. That's that cotton/40ga copper wire superflex cable.
Hi Lightning horse,

I figured that the cord was replaced at sometime, but I thougt that the "fat" cords were used with the soft plastic shell. Would insulating piercing crimp lugs work? I have never seen a modular plug that would take such a large diameter cord.

Best,

Joe

#525009 09/20/11 02:02 PM
That was my thought...which is why I suggested the crimp lugs.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#525010 09/20/11 02:18 PM
Joe, I'm fairly confident that John made his comment 'tongue-in-cheek'. Finding the original WE spade lugs and appropriate tooling (I don't think that the hand tools for them stayed around very long) will be quite a task for such a minor operation.

Radio Shack used to sell crimps that were very small, but not quite as small. You could force them to do the job. I don't know if they are still available, except in perhaps a multi-pack. The key is the tangs inside the crimp barrel. Typical crimp terminals don't have these.

How about checking with Old Phone Co. in Galesville, WI? They've been around forever. They might have the complete replacement cord:

CHECK THEM OUT

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 86 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024