web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#525072 10/20/11 05:35 AM
OP Offline
Hi again,

I am in a quandry! I have just finished polishing and reassembling my beige 3A speaker.

So what should I start next? I have a very dirty, but potentially very pretty yellow hardwired 2500 with a cracked faceplate. I also have several early black 500s with soft plastic shells. Then I have a dirty and cracked Princess phone with a six conductor line cord that my grandkids found in a junque shop and bought for me. The princess has a sticky dial.

I am leaning towards the princess, but have never even taken the shell off of one.

What are your ideas?

BTW, I love this hobby!

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

What happened to the cordboard? Is it all done?
I can send you my 500 and 554 to polish if you're bored laugh

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
OP Offline
Hi Jeff,

I am waiting on the TEL circuit module and a trunk circuit module to be gone through and tested by a 555 expert. I get updates every other day on it, and these items should be arriving shortly.

There are a few other major components that are still needed, but I have put this project on the back burner to simmer a bit as I am quite busy with my mother in law who will be moving in at the beginning of November, and my grandkids (who are lobbying me quite hard to 'hurry up and finish the switchboard'). So right now, it is living comfortably next to my Teletype machines in the newly vacated pool table room (none of us play pool, the thing came with the house).

As soon as everyone is settled in and all of the legal estate crap is finished with my mother in law, I will have substantially more time to spend on the bigger projects.

Right now, I am doing little projects that don't take too much thought... sanding, polishing, photographing telephones and kitties. As I have so much on my mind that absolutely demands my attention, I really do not have the energy to try to do anything extra that requires undivided attention such as wiring a 555. As far as my phones, I hope to compile a list of what I have completed along with photos, descriptions and possibly the provenance of each instrument.

Hopefully, in the late winter months, I will be back to pestering everybody in the telephone collector community about wiring a cordboard.

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
OP Offline
Hi again,

Well, yesterday I decided to start my next phone restoration. To make a long story short, my four grandkids took their mother and grandmother (my wife) to a junque store, and found a pink princess phone. The one girl picked it up and announced that "gran-pa" would like that! So, three little boys (9-13 years old) and one little 7 year old girl proudly took the phone to the cashier and paid three dollars for it.

[Linked Image from i83.photobucket.com]

They gave it to me when I got home from work a while back. I thanked them profusely, and hugged each one. (When little kids do something like that it to me means more than all of the (alleged) gold in fort Knox.)

Anyway, I got to taking it apart last night. I have never opened up a princess before. Unlike my first assumption when I saw it with its' six conductor cord, this has an internal bell. The thing was (is) absolutely filthy. The dial is sticky, so, I think that there is a phone restorationist in Arizona that specializes in dials. I will look him up and see what it will take to clean and adjust the dial. The bell was covered in green verdigris crystals, so I took it out, scrubbed it, then soaked it in this nasty stuff that plumbers use to clean copper pipe before soldering it. that got most of the crap off of it, so after another round of scrubbing with abrasive and a sponge, I chucked it into a tumbler with some 30-06 cases for a week. It will come out looking like new.

(Dirty bell prior to taking it out)

(Bell after the initial "treatment")

Here is a shot of the dirty handset cord.

And the line cord, showing how the tip and ring wire have lost their lugs...

The case has cracks on one end, which I hear is very normal for Princess phones, so I gave it the cyanoacryllic treatment, and will smooth it out tonight and start the sanding. The cords are a complete mess, so into the dishwasher they went. I will give them the rubbing alcohol treatment afterwards, then rewind the handset cord. Speaking of handsets, the speaker element is missing, (not to worry, I have many in the junque box).

Well, this is it for now. I will be posting updates. I am putting much effort into this little phone as it was given to me by my four favorite little kids!

This is a long term resto. I will take my time on it to make it perfect. I will also be working on Jeff's black 500 as soon as it arrives. Hope I dont accidently send his black phone back with pink handset caps! :rofl:

Best,

Joe

That looks awesome!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I have a antique green Bell butt set its a rotory dial, it still works but the case is cracked and the aligator clips don't grab to good anymore. I think its from the 1970's or early 1980's

festec is that the contempra receiver one?

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Yes Jay

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
i dont know if i would call that an antique, there are an awful lot of guys still using them.

Jay, a recovering IT guy
Last person I saw using one of the Green Contempra was an Alarm guy and he was using to to tone out a line.
This alarm company is a division of the telephone company so I wonder if they pass down their old toners and butt set tools to the alarm installers.

I don't think that NT ever made a TT version though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,112 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Curlycord), 55 guests, and 432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024