web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
something as trivial as caller-ID is "sorry, can't do that.

What are you talking about? True, a 20 year old system may not support CID but newer ones certainly do and can have every feature you can ask for. That's because they are a REAL telephone system, not a computer simulation of one. Upgrade to a new TDM system if you need something and be happy, don't create headaches with IP.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

So TDM systems last forever, but you must upgrade to a new one every now and then if you want a new feature (or if the manufacturer discontinues support for it and something breaks). Which generates a constant revenue stream, too.

Deltron Offline OP
Retired Moderator
OP Offline
Retired Moderator
Hal, I believe you need to rethink a little of this. VOIP definitely has it's place. What bothers me is the purveyors of this equipment are targeting customers that have no use for it and doing them a real disservice in the process.

We are going to have to learn these systems to stay competitive. Eventually real phone guys versus CGs will become more heavily involved in the design and development mitigating some of the complexity and lack of some basic functions.

I don't believe TDM will completely die. The inherent reliability and low cost alone will keep them around for a long time, especially for small companies or installations in adverse environments.

Somebody is also going to have to come up with an alternate option to interface VOIP phones than using POE switches and 4 pair cable. Cost and length limitations alone hurt large installations. Using a single pair for data and power has served the industry well. There should be an option for this.

So TDM systems last forever, but you must upgrade to a new one every now and then if you want a new feature (or if the manufacturer discontinues support for it and something breaks). Which generates a constant revenue stream, too.

But that doesn't happen nearly as much as with something that is designed to generate a constant revenue stream. IP is modeled after something where it is accepted practice to pay ongoing for licenses, upgrades and for general operation. So as long as it's presented as IT equipment to IT people, the constant costs are something they are used to.

Try that with a customer who has had a TDM system for 20 years and maybe had to buy a couple of phones for it at most.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Somebody is also going to have to come up with an alternate option to interface VOIP phones than using POE switches and 4 pair cable. Cost and length limitations alone hurt large installations. Using a single pair for data and power has served the industry well. There should be an option for this
Its been done already.

Cisco will release a full size desk phone by years end. I have seen it at a local Cisco office and it is cool. Price is extremly competative.

All I want to do is hang a KSU on the wall, connect the POTS CO Lines and run one or two pairs to each phone. I want to be able to simply program from a predefined feature set using a phone or a GUI interface.
How about this -

Programming a Cisco UC system - they are GUI interfaces so you can just plug in the system, connect your choice of CO lines, install an AP for the wireless desk phones(very soon)or connect them to the cabled network, use your predefined feature set and your done.

No blocks, brackets, cross wires, labeling of blocks, no Desi labels.

Quicker than a typical TDM install.

Don't knock it until you try it. It really is not that hard.

Brian- You are correct. There are upgrades to TDM systems.

#1- The TDM upgrades are few a far between compared to constant updates, software patches, switch upgrades, and cabling upgrade requirements that accompany almost every VOIP install. The VOIP ROI is a scam. You get an ROI on TDM too. The big difference is with TDM you invest less, and get the ROI on the equipment faster. We all understand that times are hard and we need to find ways to cut back. But if your business relies on your telephone system working, and that don't mean working SOME of the time, you shouldn't go with a full VOIP solution.

#2- If you are honest with your clients you will tell them that they can have VOIP if they want it. You at least have to offer it to them. After all, they probably approached you about it in the first place. But, if you are telling your client that VOIP is just as good, or as reliable as a TDM system, YOU ARE LYING. The two platforms are totally different. One is extremely reliable. One is not very reliable at all. 99.999 up time is a hard number to beat. Show me one VOIP manufacturer that can come close.

That's my opinion on the subject, and we all know what they say about opinions.

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
How about this -

Programming a Cisco UC system - they are GUI interfaces so you can just plug in the system, connect your choice of CO lines, install an AP for the wireless desk phones(very soon)or connect them to the cabled network, use your predefined feature set and your done.

No blocks, brackets, cross wires, labeling of blocks, no Desi labels.

Quicker than a typical TDM install.

Don't knock it until you try it. It really is not that hard. [/QB]
not happening with the uc500 ... we are a cisco "partner" and have been working with the uc since it came out,
We have been nothing but dissapointed with the uc GUI's lack of ability to do any real world phone system programming, any time you need to do something just slightly cutom you have to go to the command line. and here is where it realy gets good - now that you have done some programming in the command line the gui constantly locks up and gives you errors.
I have spent endless hours on the phone with their tac support on issues that would be fixed in minutes with our other manufactures...

PBX Battery backup systems

www.telcom1.net
KLD Offline
Brian703, thanks for the profile update.....continue on.......................

Ken
---------
www.telcom1.net
I am surprised to hear that. We have never had those issues with the 500 or 520.

Admin
Admin
Evidently I'm not the only one to find issues with the UC500. UC500 support issues

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  JWRacedog 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,091 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Carl Navarro, nfcphoneman), 134 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024