web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I'm having very severe issues with sending email from the Allworx 6x. Our Allworx provider has been very slow in resolving these issues so I'm taking it upon myself to try and figure it out. Here is what I've done so far:

- Message alias is setup correctly.
- I tried the default configuration for the SMTP settings and I also configured the SMTP settings with Google's SMART SMTP servers, both don't work.
- Scanned our network for any local SMTP daemons that might be messing with things, there is nothing.
- Disabled any firewall restrictions that would prevent sending of email.
- Applied content filter to explicitly allow all traffic coming from the PBX.
- Put the PBX into our DMZ, this should definitely resolve any issues with our firewall as they claim it is.

Still, I can't get anything to send. I can send email from any other machine on the network using either Google's SMTP or the one provided by our ISP, no issues. I checked the Email Queue under "Home > Servers > Email Server > Manage the Email Queue". This is where the messages pile up. Here it is saying that the return path is "[email protected]" and the recipient is "[email protected]". My actual email address is "[email protected]" which is what is setup under the message alias. If I set a SMS notification for my user it will show up under the queue with the recipient as the email address I entered, "[email protected]". Still nothing sends though.

The domain "allworx.cea" is setup on our local DNS server (bind9) to point to the IP of the PBX. So if I straight up ping allworx.cea from any machine on our network it resolves correctly. For the DNS settings under "Home > Network > Configuration > Modify" I setup the host name as "allworx" and the domain name as allworx.cea. I also checked "Allworx DNS Server hosts the DNS Zone" under "Home > Servers > DNS Server > Modify" under the section "Host Table > DNS Zone: allworx.cea". I'm pretty sure the DNS should be fine. I can set the machine's domain up as a globally valid TLD if needed, though this really shouldn't be the case. Our private DNS shouldn't cause issues with simply sending an email, should it?

The message alias that I setup has the system user, a Yahoo account, and a Google Apps account listed as the members. So at least I know it isn't just Google Apps blocking stuff.

I've combed over this system a billion times. I'm not much of a telephony guy and am really frustrated in how difficult this thing is. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
Hi Jason...welcome to the board. Here is a similar post with some info to try.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Yeah, I've already reviewed that thread. That's how I found this board. smile

Admin
Admin
Good deal...JWRacedog is an Allworx dealer and will probably pop in. If he doesn't then feel free to send him a Private Maessage through the PM Feature. Most of us get an email notification of that and can speed up the process.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Cool, I'm trying other SMART SMTP servers now to see if I can get something to send.

OP Offline
I was able to get it to work with a very old decrepit SMTP server that I used to use over 12 years ago.

I'm guessing Google's Server uses some sort of TLS/SSL stuff that the Allworx can't understand and my ISP's server, we'll it should work but I tried everything and it won't go so screw it.

I win!

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
PM sent.

OP Offline
When I setup Thunderbird on my local network with the identity

[email protected]

and send an email to

[email protected]

through the ISP's SMTP I get this error

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: allworx.cea does not exist. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again."

So obviously the ISP is blocking email coming from a domain that does not resolve globally. I'd prefer to continue to use our local DNS for the device. Is it possible to configure this thing to send all emails from one single valid email address? Or possibly edit the user's particular email address so it doesn't have the devices domain on it. I don't want to use our company's domain (ceamarketing.com) as I read in the manual that you shouldn't do this.

.cea is not a TLD. You cant resolve that on the public DNS just like you can't route 192.168. or 10. IP addresses on the public internet. Sounds like you got some misconfiguration going on.

OP Offline
There is no technical reason why the device should require a globally valid TLD though. I have no need for anything outside my local network to talk to it. That's why I'd prefer to use my namespace. My ISP's SMTP server requires a valid domain though. From my experience this isn't normally the case with the SMTP servers I use as the 'From: ' header can easily be spoofed and gives no guaranty of authorship (eg I could tell my ISP I was [email protected] and it will send it along it's merry way). So really their policy does very little, arguably nothing, to prevent spam. It's most likely the case that this is a usability feature as I'm sure they get plenty of calls from idiots like me who have whacko domain names as their from address.

It would be nice if there was a configuration on the system that you could just enter in any email address and have all the email the system sends out represent as that address, like any other piece of software that sends email.

I ended up setting up a new global domain with a MX server on it. I setup all users that are on the PBX as email aliases on that domain, to forward to the person's actual email address. So in the case anything gets sent to it, it will be forwarded to the proper destination. This functions perfectly but was kind of a hassle to setup.

Oh well, thanks for the help everyone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  JWRacedog 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,795
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,352 Shoretel
189,012 CTX100 install
187,392 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 152 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024