web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Aloha from Hawaii and thank you in advance for this great fourm and help. I tried searching and didnt see what i was looking for. How easy is it for me to add music on hold or get the great "Click Click" on hold? Mahalo, David

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'm not sure what the great "Click, Click" is, but Music on Hold is do-able on a 551. You will need the right line card - and ITT 400E or a SanBar 4200 or a WE 400H. There are some others that will work - a 400D will NOT. (Strapping on the card may be required, depending on the model.)

To supply MOH to more then one line you will need a 403 card to isolate each of the lines and prevent crosstalk. If you just want to supply it to one line then, as I recall, you remove the wiring on pins 3 & 18 (A Battery & Ground) and attach a low level Music source to those pins.

I think that was it, but I'll go dig up some prints and check. In the mean time I'm sure that someone with a better memory than I (Ed or Arthur or....) will come along and correct me.

Sam

Last edited by Silversam; 08/26/12 04:03 PM.

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Mahalo for the fast response! Im looking forward to trying the music. One line is good for now. I do have WE 400H cards. The great click click is the sound you hear when you are on hold. Almost like a winking but the on hold party can hear it. I wasnt sure if the 551 was capable of it or was it just something for old very large key systems. Looking forward to music soon with your direction. Aloha from Hawaii! David

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
The "click-click" that you speak of was an indirect result of many stations and very long cable runs sharing the same line appearance(s). The hold wink of lines managed to create enough of a capacitive kick to be picked up by the caller on hold. I don't think that this was ever intentional. You might be able to recreate this effect by completely isolating your system's power supply voltages from commercial ground. This is usually done by disconnecting a metal strap on the lower-right corner of the 551's power supply front panel. This strap bonds the low-voltage outputs to the commercial AC power ground. Of course, you will need to remove any other external grounding to the KSU as well so that the power supply outputs are truly floating. Don't alter the AC power cord's grounding conductor though. If you don't get the click by doing this, you might have better luck using ITT 400E line cards and running a strap from the "LW" terminal on the lower-right quadrant of the KSU's 66 block to pin 18 of the line card's slot. If you have a 551B KSU, the leads that are wire-wrapped to pins 3 and 18 of card slots 1-3 are not terminated, but they are taped and stored near where the wiring harness from the card cage enters the right side of the block. They are white/blue through white/green pairs according to the slot position.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Mahalo Ed, will work on that. Still have some daylight here in the islands!

How about that. All these years I thought that click-click the caller hears while on hold was to assure them they had not been disconnected. I recall hearing the click-click-hold "feature" on solid 1980s Southern Bell installations. Learning new stuff in fun.

Mark

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 104 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024