web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
We have an old Avaya definity G3siv11. 11 or 12 months ago we changed our name from name1 to name2.
I have notified all our carriers and LSP's of our new name.
Most of the time we get the new name on the caller ID's of the folks being called, but not always.
At first I thought it was just folks having Name1 in the memory of the device at the farend gettiing the call.
After the test calls I'm not so sure I'm right.
Where in my system does the name show up that out pulses to called party id's?
AT&T says everything is good but,we have a pri with 3 t-1's. Could one of those still have the old name?

Last edited by Boskerthearkite; 11/05/12 03:20 PM.
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
The problem with incorrect info on your outbound Caller ID is probably caused by the carrier at the receiving end of the call. The carrier that delivers a call to a premise is on the hook for having the correct data in their data base. You can holler at your provider, but at best all they can do is rattle the cages of the other carriers.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
Funny how this situation keeps coming up. What I can't understand is why the complete CID information isn't sent by the originating carrier with the call setup to the receiving carrier then to the called party. What's with this data base nonsense? No wonder CID information is useless in many cases.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 11/05/12 08:05 PM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally Posted by Boskerthearkite
Where in my system does the name show up that out pulses to called party id's?

Nowhere. There is no means for ANY system to send the calling party name. To be more specific, it is impossible and illegal to manipulate such information. The service providers on the delivering end of the data stream are the culprits for not having paid their subscription to the national database.

There's just no other way for this to be occurring.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally Posted by EV607797
... it is impossible and illegal to manipulate such information. The service providers on the delivering end of the data stream are the culprits for not having paid their subscription to the national database.

Not disagreeing with you but it does get manipulated. I can and have told service providers what name I want the CID to display for both land lines and cells. Apparently it can go farther than that judging from the CID you see when telemarketers call.

But again, why does there need to be a national database? You're beginning to make me think there is a sinister motive for there to be a database that contains the names of every phone number.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 11/06/12 12:28 AM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Turns out that local calls are not right either.
Yesterday I had another unrelated complaint the the caller id was showing up with a name of a person who hasn't been here in several years.
To cure the problem I'm changing the isdn public unknown table to reflect our main number on those stations having difficulty.
So far that seems to work.

CMM Offline
That would be my suggestion as well; check all of your tables and options that would send out CID to the carrier. It sounds as though they have left control of CID up to the PBX.

Originally Posted by hbiss
Not disagreeing with you but it does get manipulated. I can and have told service providers what name I want the CID to display for both land lines and cells. Apparently it can go farther than that judging from the CID you see when telemarketers call.

To expand upon this further...most carriers these days (probably with the adoption of VoIP-based switches as their back end) have allowed PBX's control of the outpulsing CID. It's definitely offered from the SIP trunking providers we work with, as well as Comcast PRI service and I know that it's been part of conversations with other CLECs. Some only allow number, others allow name and number manipulation. Doesn't mean that the destination carrier will display the modified data, but at least it is possible.

I do also agree that the databasse methodology is antiquated and obsurd when making changes.

We've been fighting for two months to get a customer's CNAME updated in said database and propagated to all carriers. All because the carrier screwed up when inputting the order and chose something off the wall to display.

Chris
NECOM Solutions powered by Internet and Telephone, LLC
Comdial, Vertical, NEC DSX/SL1100, Avaya IP Office
OP Offline
Something about that doesn't seem right. They aren't using our data, because if they did we would like it.
They must be using data pulled up several years ago. Kind of like a little of this and a little of that. Nothing consistant.... Frustrating....

RIP Moderator-General
RIP Moderator-General
On your station forms are you sending name and number?

...bob...

Bob Wells
WellComm, Inc.

"As long as nobody's dead or in jail, it can't be all that bad ! "
Moderator-Iwatsu
Moderator-Iwatsu
"They must be using data pulled up several years ago. Kind of like a little of this and a little of that. Nothing consistant.... Frustrating...."

That's precisely the problem.

We sometimes have that issue around here in WNY with a former cable company turned telco. Their data base gets whacked and they'll send old info, even info that was current before an area code overlay that happened in this area a few years ago.

Sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored, they go for a stroll through my mouth. This is rarely a good thing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,786
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,091 Shoretel
188,986 CTX100 install
187,371 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (justbill, Touch Tone Tommy, SSPhone, Toner), 115 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024