web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#542549 01/03/13 03:04 AM
OP Offline
Hello, one of my clients has a dsx-40 system with 7 IP key sets and 5 lines the lines are physical phone lines from charter. The system was installed by another company in November of 2011 and since day one the system has been nothing but trouble according to the customer. I have personally witnessed the following issues with the system.

1. Random freezing of the entire system
2. Extremely laggy stations
3. Certain stations at times have no dial tone until reboot of that station

When the system freezes usually a quick reset fixes it but sometimes they have to do that several times a day. Occasionally a reset won't fix it and you have to leave the system completely unplugged for a while and then it will work.

The stations are always laggy regardless of reboot or not. An example is say the phone is ringing and we pick it up if we just start talking like "thank you for calling abc company this is Jane how can I help you ?" The person on the other end of the call will hear "can I help you". You can only imagine how annoying that is.

The strange issue with the dial tone rarely happens but when it does it hangs out all day nod randomly effects different stations.

I have updated the key sets to 1.0.7.2 and the system to 3.42.

I have heard that some of these issues can be caused by hackers trying to login to the system but I can assure you this is not the case here. The customer has a firewall and all incoming ports are blocked. Also I have in trying to isolate the issue put the system on its own switch and completely separate network. No change in the issues.

I look forward to reading your suggestions.

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
I cant help with your question but i can help you get more answers.

If you complete your profile with your location, occupation, website etc you will be more likely to get answers.

Wireshark and find out what is going on.

did this just start happening?

Is there adequate bandwidth on the network?

Are there bandwidth-hogs that draw down the bandwidth, such as large file transfer activities?

do you have layer 2 switches that are using QoS?

Try moving the phones to a switch right at the PBX for testing, and see if the problems go away.

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
If the phones are within cat 3 distance of the KSU why not change to TDM phones?

If the phones are off site and you do not have managed circuits for each phone, you are at the mercy of the internet all bets are off.

I would bet something is eating up processor time by either ping attacks OR what I have seen is bad destinations for SMTP for the voice mail. After a while, the system will slow then freeze and it was almost always the SMTP not sending mail and getting caught in a loop.

OP Offline
I am going to do a wire shark this week.

In response to telephoneguy, the phones are already on their own switch and the switch does not have qos.

In response to ttech, I support this idea but the customer doesn't understand why we can't fix these and doesn't want to buy more stuff. The phones are all under one roof on a private network.

And to Coral Tech, that is a interesting thought... But I don't see how it could be a ping attack since the phones are on their own network that is not allowed access to or from the Internet.

On the smtp loop, I'll check into this. I don't believe the smtp settings are even configured however.

Thanks for all the replys!

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
If the phones are on their own switch but that switch is still part of the data network they are susceptible to any issues on the data side. If possible, try separating the 2 to see if the calls still have issues.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I completely fail to understand why they have IP phones internally.

I'd replace them with TDM sets and dump the IP phones on eBay.

I'm also with Coral Tech and others, there's probably a hole through the router and the system is being attacked. We've come across this identical scenario where some slick salesman tells the customer they're getting a high tech VOIP system when the reality is something different. It doesn't take too many service hours to equal the cost of switching the phones out.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024