Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Business service used to provide greater reliability, better quality and faster service in the event of outages. I obviously can't talk to everywhere, but at least in NYC it all seems to be the same -business or residential - everything is identical. It was already getting bad 20 years ago, now it's just gotten worse.

Sam

Last edited by Silversam; 05/10/13 07:58 AM.

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by hbiss
Well, you are a business, have the account in the name of the business and have a business listing in the WHITE pages. Just how, short of canceling your service and getting a new account in your name with all new numbers do you think you can change your service to residential? The phone company ain't stupid so I doubt they will let you keep your existing business numbers if you decide to change. If they did that what would be the sense of charging businesses more? The bell has been rung and they know you are a business. You can't unring it. You should have set up the account originally in your name if you wanted resi rates. But then you deprive your business of a directory listing and I'm not just talking Yellow Pages. All your numbers will be listed under your name- or nothing if you want them unpublished.

-Hal

Yes. I am a business. I'm not looking to do anything that's odd, strange or not customarily done. But there are rules and there are rules. In Los Angeles people observe J-walking laws but in Manhattan they ignore them. I didn't know if people with home offices typically used residential lines or not. If they don't, then I don't have any problem following the rules. But I wanted to ask the question. I don't want to be the one person in Manhattan standing on the corner waiting for the light to change while everyone else passes me by.

Doesn't matter if you run your business out of a refrigerator carton. Phone companies only see that you are a business so they charge you higher business rates.

I didn't know if people with home offices typically used residential lines or not.

Though I have never seen it I'm willing to bet there are businesses who have figured ways to get resi service so yeah, plenty of home offices do. It's just in whatever you can get the phone company to believe. But once you have a business account set up you can't go back.

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 05/10/13 07:10 PM.

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
My cousin ran a business from her home for ten years before finally expanding into a real office. She never paid business rates for her very good home phone number (XXX-5050). She got caught during a random check of good numbers by Bell Atlantic. In order to keep her number, she had to pay the difference between residential and business rates for two years, plus a hefty deposit.

She had no choice. They aren't stupid.

I try to tell people this with regard to using cell phone numbers for business use. If you read the fine print, most cell service providers' contracts forbid the use of their service plans for business use. Every day, I see bandit contractors driving around with cell phone numbers on their vehicles.

They obviously aren't doing a very good job of enforcing their own policies since this abuse is rampant around here.

Who in the heck would hire a contractor that doesn't have a verifiable business address and telephone number anyway? Talk about asking for it....

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally Posted by homeboy4
But there are rules and there are rules. In Los Angeles people observe J-walking laws but in Manhattan they ignore them.

Isn't that the truth? Everyone out here jaywalks... in fact, the mayor of Philadelphia had some trouble with that a few years back. The newspapers out here were incredulous - who enforces jaywalking laws anyway? =)

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
Originally Posted by homeboy4
Originally Posted by hbiss
How is your main number listed and what name is the account under?

I currently have a business account which is in the name of the business (not me personally) and appears in the Yellow Pages under the business name (which is an S-corp.). Part of the reason why I thought moving to residential lines might not have a downside is that I can easily do without the Yellow Pages -- that no one reads anyway. So if that's all I give up, but I get cheaper rates, then why not?

Yellow Pages listing isn't just the phone book anymore. It is linked to their website which provides HUGE search exposure.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
(this outta insite a riot)

Port the main number to a SIP trunk and get a SIP capable phone system.

Rates will be better, and it doesnt matter where your system is...Home, CA, NY...

Admin
Admin
I'm with Mongo Matt...that would be the best all around solution.

[Linked Image]
they still have centrex?

Kevin
Centennial Telecom
Las Vegas
(702) 689-4090
Time Warner probably has EMTA boxes. You tie that into your cable service you will probably save money and be able to tie that to your phone system without a lot of cost.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,456 Shoretel
188,312 CTX100 install
187,087 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 166 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024