Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#555225 07/24/13 05:07 PM
OP Offline
Here is the condensed version:
2 VLANS. Adtran 3120. No Domain on network, strictly workgroups.
Computers on one VLAN unable to resolve the names on the other VLAN.

Wire shark shows that when I ping Joe it sends out NBNS query?
I thought Net bios went the way of a Dodo bird at Win 2000.

How can we use DNS to resolve local names since the router/is the DHCP and DNS server?

Can anyone confirmn setting up a WINS server to be the answer?
As of right now it is a small network and forwarding Netbios traffic is a small concern. But putting in helper IPs or ip forward-protocol udp netbios-ns and a few other things into the router didn't help

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

BillFlippen #555437 07/29/13 10:24 PM
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Sorry for the late response but yes you need a WINS server and Netbios is still alive and kicking.

Last edited by tito1411; 07/29/13 10:25 PM.
BillFlippen #555929 08/07/13 01:26 AM
I thought workgroups went the way of the dodo bird at WFW3.11... wink

It's a bit kludgy but you could always just roll out a custom hosts file to each client - problem solved.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
BillFlippen #555936 08/07/13 06:36 AM
No, there's still plenty of workgroups in use out there. I wouldn't use the hosts file method as this is just huge PITA. Its pretty easy to setup a WINS server in any version of Windows Server and if the client is not running any server software then I would use one of the free WINS servers that are available.

BillFlippen #555978 08/07/13 10:46 PM
can't say i ever thought of dropping a text file into a folder as a huge PITA but i got the impression they were without a server and a common hosts file will work even when the workstation running a free WINS server is turned off. fwiw.

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
BillFlippen #555990 08/08/13 08:31 AM
Its a management nightmare though. Any time you add a computer or change a computer name then you have to create a new Hosts file and go through all the workstations and replace the existing file. Either way will work but from a management standpoint a WINS server is the way to go.

BillFlippen #555991 08/08/13 08:35 AM
I recently took over a network that had 75 devices in it, no DNS, DHCP, or WINS server, and the old admin modified all the Hosts files on each workstation computerprobs

tito1411 #556018 08/08/13 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by tito1411
Its a management nightmare though. Any time you add a computer or change a computer name then you have to create a new Hosts file and go through all the workstations and replace the existing file. Either way will work but from a management standpoint a WINS server is the way to go.

i agree, i just like the mental exercise. =) i suppose you could set up a logon script in the Local Group Policy Editor to grab a new copy from a fileshare - then you'd only have one file to update for adds/moves/changes. no doubt though, by the time you've gone through all that trouble, a freebie WINS server doesn't look so bad.

Originally Posted by tito1411
I recently took over a network that had 75 devices in it, no DNS, DHCP, or WINS server, and the old admin modified all the Hosts files on each workstation computerprobs

eeeeek! now that's just crazy... i would never do it with more than a dozen or so clients and even then, only in a pinch.

i had a customer who was using an old XP box as a file server and sometimes they'd lose their drive mappings. the previous sysadmin had created a batch file on each desktop with NET USE commands to delete and remap the shares. the users would just double-click on it any time they couldn't get to their files.

BillFlippen #556024 08/08/13 05:23 PM
OP Offline
Thanks guys, I had set up a WINS server and all is well with the world now.

I guess my main question is even witht he forwarding commands, why didn;t it work?

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
BillFlippen #556027 08/08/13 05:52 PM
It can work across a router but it is NEVER recommended to do so. There are three effective ways and this is with a DNS server, WINS server, or the use of LMHOSTS files. There can be issues with master browser elections across routers where you may end up with two or more master browsers and even more problems and headaches than are worth it. Another issue is allowing broadcast traffic to eat up precious WAN bandwidth. In your case the correct fix was the WINS server.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,289
Posts638,797
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,355 Shoretel
189,018 CTX100 install
187,395 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 21
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, justbill), 174 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024