web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#561129 11/10/13 12:35 AM
OP Offline
I had my PC stolen from My truck last week and am now trying to rebuild. I had an XP machine and used a Belkin FSU409 USBto DB9 converter for years. Now I am forced to a WIN7 32 bit machine to be able to continue. I got another adapter and null modem cable. The problem is that I can't get the adapter to work for me. It works fine on an XP machine so I know the cable and adapter DO work, but on the WIN7 one it comes up with COMM errors on all the old KXTD 1232, 308 and TVS systems. Is there a different adapter to use, or perhaps a different driver? I would hate to have to carry 2 PC's until my oldest customers die.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
The Safelite guys ALSO showed me how wonderfully useful the internet is.

I've had the same problem (computer running Windows 7) and purchased about five different USB/serial adapters hoping I'd find one that eventually worked. I was finally able to get an off-brand one purchased at Micro Center working with a TVS50 once, but after that it never worked again. I think it's a combination of incorrect driver settings in Windows (that I can't pinpoint) and some of the physical adapters not having the correct chipset.

I eventually gave up....went back to the old Toshiba Satellite running Windows 98 I've kept around just for TD & TVS equipment. I'm thinking about stocking up on a few more old PCs with serial ports because I've got a lot of customers still using that equipment.

If anyone else has gotten this to work successfully, I'd also be very interested in hearing from you.

Admin
Online Content
Admin
I picked up one at Rat Shack (in a red and black package) for my Windows 7 Starter netbook and it worked fine. I don't recall if I had to use the CD drivers that came with it or Windows found it. It was a bit pricey, but I went to the only electronics store in the small town and paid the long dollar.
I just checked the van and it was Gigaware.

Carl

I remember why I now carry TWO computers in the van.

Last edited by Carl Navarro; 11/10/13 11:39 PM. Reason: added product name
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
I picked up a used dell laptop with XP and a REAL serial port for 185.00 from a guy at the flea market who sells off lease PC's
great investment its paid for itself with older equipment I've been able to service .

the window breaking thing has been featured on several TV shows as a survival technique for a car that's gone in the water. there are "survival" tools readily available to break a window .

on ebay here

I carry a spring loaded center punch for that purpose

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Tripplite USB to serial works with everything!!

Good to hear everyone's responses....sounds like my and the OP's best option is to continue carrying two computers for this purpose.

Shawn, the Tripp Lite is one of the adapters I've purchased and can't get to work. Is there a special way it needs to be configured?

OP Offline
Well I got the Chicken Shack Gigaware one and it doesn't connect either.

So tripplite is my next experiment?

funny, I am carrying a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 98 too. However, I REALLY don't want to go back to carrying 2 laptops all the time.

The search goes on.

Last edited by Not_sirius; 11/13/13 01:55 PM.

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,330 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Carl Navarro), 120 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024