web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#561739 11/21/13 11:47 AM
dawda Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys,

I know this shouldn't be a hard thing to do but I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm missing.

The scenario is when the attendant is on a call and a second call comes in they generally will transfer call #1 to whoever they want to speak to, and then want to pick up call #2. However with system defaults they have to hang up their receiver for 4seconds before the call will come though to pick up. Is there a value I can program to a flex button to allow for rapid call switching at the push of a button? I've been though all the timers in the PC-admin and can't figure out what time would allow the attendant to basically do a hook flash to pick up the second call.

Thanks for your help

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Normally when the attendant is on a call they can press the new incoming call & it will put the first call on hold automatically. Shouldn't be no wait. Its instant. Put the second call on hold & go back & take care of the first call.

David

dawda Offline OP
OP Offline
David thanks for the answer,

By "press the new incoming call" are you assuming that the system is set up w/ Shared line appearance? This system normal call volume is 6-8 concurrent calls (that originated inbound) over a PRI w/ 2-3 receptionists handling calls. The system was not originally set up w/ SLA, and I figured that would be a simple fix, however once I enabled it all lines that were in use just showed as red including the new inbound calls. Since there are always several lines inbound that are lit up and the new call doesn't blink or anything unless the receptionist is looking at the button when it lights up they have no idea which one of the lit buttons is new inbound call. Is there a way to make it blink or something?

Dawda

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Normally when using a PRI loop keys and park keys are used instead of line appearances. With this setup, I have not experienced the delay or the lack of a button flash as you have described.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
dawda Offline OP
OP Offline
Loop Keys and Parks is how the system was originally set up, can you confirm for me what normal operation on an SBX system should be in my scenario?

Normally the Receptionist will transfer the call and then wants to pick up the new call, so once the call is transferred they have a dead receiver off hook and the other phones in the reception group are ringing, am I correct that pressing the flash button should pick up the ringing call?

I did try programing a flex button as a flash, but it didn't blink so I couldn't get the receptionist to understand that they were supposed to push it when a new call came in to verify that it worked. If that is how the system is supposed to work I'll have to personally go out to the remote office and demonstrate it for them.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Flash is usually used to send a short disconnect to an analog line, not a PRI line. It is used for telco offsite transfers and as a recall button...give me dialtone back on the same line. The Receptionist should use either the hook switch or the flashing loop key to get the next call. Loops and Parks are really the best way with a PRI. The only exception would be if it is fractional one, less than ten lines and you can square the system...all lines on their own button on each phone. That is just not going to work with a full PRI, it needs too many buttons, so loops, three, and parks, up to six is the way to go.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

dawda Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I was able to go onsite yesterday and work with the system a little bit. It doesn't seem like its doing what I understood proper operation to look like.

When an inbound call comes in we are using hunt 620 to distribute calls to attendants. Each phone is programmed w/ 2 loop keys and 6 parks. When for example attendant 100 is on the phone and a second call comes in, there is currently no notification on her phone that there is a second call(no blinking buttons or anything), the only way she knows there is a second call coming in is that she can hear the other phones in 620 ringing, pressing either of the loop buttons will give her an empty line w/ dial tone. Currently the only way we know for the Attendant to get the call is to hangup/depress the hook switch until her phone begins to ring which as of now takes 4 seconds. There should be a way to get that call at the press of a button. From Derrick's previous post it seems like there should be a blinking loop button to press.

Is something about the way I'm doing call handling incorrect or is there something wrong w/ my phone system? Any other suggestions or insights would be most appreciated. If more info would be helpful to figure out whats going on pleas ask.

thanks again

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
What you want is for the SBX did calls to ring like co calls...multiple ringing on multiple phones including ringing on an off hook phone. You cannot have that with this system when using a PRI. The SBX treats 620 ring all calls to a busy member like any other type of station hunt group..it ignores that phone, no ring, no flashing light, until it is idle. Once idle it will start ringing and it can be answered. You can shorten the delay by shortening the wrap up timer.

Groups are designed to let the system work for you..process calls in a first in first answered basis unlike squared where you can pick any ringing line no matter if has been ringing the longest or not.

If there is no answer it can play a message saying that there is no one available or whatever verbiage you want to use. It can overflow to another station including one of the group members which will make it mute ring and it will also forward the call to voice mail at that point if auto forwarding is on.

I do understand your frustration. There are times that I wish I could set a did call to just ring on multiple phones, some with a delay, all with flashing lights, like a co call but unfortunately that simple function is not available, yet.

Last edited by Derrick; 01/09/14 07:43 PM.

www.myrandomviews

dawda Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, thanks Derrick, that makes more sense, I was thinking of the hunt groups more like what some other systems refer to and a ring group, where as these are basically a queue. It confused me that I couldn't find a timer in the system timer list for that delay so thanks for mentioning it was a wrap up timer, again under the circumstances makes perfect sense. Nothing like using a complex machine to solve a simple problem.

Well that was what I needed to get it fixed so Thanks.. finally got this one straitened out.

One other note for anyone who may find this thread w/ the same problem the PC Admin v3.5 tool can only set the wrap up timer minimum time of 002. If you log into admin programing from the attendant station, you can set it to 000.

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, Curlycord), 104 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024