web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Zack9 Offline OP
OP Offline
We have 2 locations both with CIX 40 phone systems using 4 POTS lines at each location with no SIP's and no IP phones and all the licensing has been installed. We are trying to get StrataNet online and working so far I have local static IP's to the MIPU16's and set them up in programming per the manual. We are only using this for the ability to transfer calls and intercom between the 2 locations. I can not seem to get this working and i could really use some help we have an established VPN between the 2 locations with CIX "A" being Node ID 10 and CIX "B" being Node ID 20. (This matches their subnets that why the numbers were chosen that way). Does anyone have a procedure for me to follow to get this working without having to call out a toshiba tech? Unless I am not dialing an extension correctly this is my first round with this product. I do have the software.

Thank you
Zack

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I just want to make a couple of observations as a regular forum member. I don't want to sound like I am being critical from the top of my soap box..

First, there are a lot of components to getting Stratanet to work, no less then 10 required items that need to be correctly setup, plus many optional items depending on the setup for things like central voicemail, BLF keys, Least cost routng, or QOS. I don't know if you are reading the CIX programing manual, but it was designed to be reference guide more than a how-to guide.

Also, when you make a statement like "get this working without having to call out a toshiba tech", you have probably reduced your chances that someone that can help you, actually will take the time. You won't find a lot of amateur Toshiba techs that know the system well enough to configure Stratanet, especially sight unseen.

The Toshiba CIX isn't really a Do it Yourself type of system. IT people do get it better then most, but it still isn't intuitive. Believe me, I have trained plenty of IT people on this system. Just like I could configure a new domain server and MS Exchange server from the ground up, I think it would save a dramatic amount of time if I brought in someone that had done this many more times before. A tech has many more resources available that you do not, such as tech support directly from Toshiba, and lots of best reference materials.

If I was in this situation, I would call upon the company that sold you the equipment and Stratanet licenses, or see if you can hire someone to join.me and check your settings.

Zack9 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for the honesty. We purchased this equipment with the understanding we would have support in its setup and now we are being told there is no support and we will have to pay a tech to come out. I was a little taken by the dealer and trying to get this done on my own but I understand what you are saying. I have been using the programming manual as a guide to programming which I have realized was not a how-to guide. Thank you for your help I will call a local tech out to do this the right way so I dont mess it up.

Thank you
Zack

Zack - You are a wise man. Newtecky summed this up brilliantly. Doing this for a living I can tell you that SN can be the most difficult feature to set up. Miss one setting and you can chase your tail for hours. I will have Jr. techs ask me for help on a setup that doesn't work and my response is ALWAYS to start from the beginning. We have a checklist that helps a lot but we still miss a setting and 1 wrong parameter on either side equals a non working SN. It is kind of like untangling a line, you just have to start at one end and work it through.

Anyhow, a qualified Toshiba tech can get this working for you and you will never have to fuss with it again except, perhaps, to indicate a station has been added to a node. The tech should be able to show you how to do this and it is a very simple procedure once SN is up and running.

I would also contact Toshiba and explain what happened. Toshiba aggressively pursues input from customers. I can speak from personal experience, but that is a tale for another day.

I give you kudos for the attempt to get this working on your own. ~ Mike

Michael Meyer
Zack9 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you everyone i should have watched my words earlier as i normally work with Avaya NEC and Nortel. Toshiba is a new venture for me the only reason we have it is because it was already existing in the buildings we purchased and now just trying to intergrate them. I thank all of you for your help I have hired a tech who is remotely configuring the StrataNet and he is having several problems but working hard a great technician!! He has got Toshiba involved i will keep you updated

Stratanet will baffle some of the best techs the first time. I myself only ever set it up step by step with my cheat sheets, even then one miss placed digit can sink the whole thing and you almost have to start over.

Zack9 Offline OP
OP Offline
Well even with paid support we are still unable to get StrataNet up and going I am at a lost Toshiba Tech Support was in remotely and confirmed all settings are correct we can ping the MIPU cards in both locations over the VPN just get "call abandoned" weather we direct dial the other extension or dial with access code I am not sure what to do the techs have gave up for the day and will be attempting to work on this tomorrow any ideas?

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
If you have remote access into both systems at the same time StrataNet shouldn't take more that 15mins for a experienced Toshiba trained technician with all the details required eg IP addresses, node numbers, extension numbers for both ends etc.
Don't forget that you will have to install the QSIG licenses for both ends.

Regards
Carl
Originally Posted by Zack9
Well even with paid support we are still unable to get StrataNet up and going I am at a lost Toshiba Tech Support was in remotely and confirmed all settings are correct we can ping the MIPU cards in both locations over the VPN just get "call abandoned" weather we direct dial the other extension or dial with access code I am not sure what to do the techs have gave up for the day and will be attempting to work on this tomorrow any ideas?

The next step may be to check the router logs, or even capture packets. Even with a VPN tunnel that should allow all traffic across, I have occasionally ran into issues when the routers dropped packets. I had Sonicwall support on the phone for about 4 hours until they got it working. Other data traffic (including ping) worked ok.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
have you programmed the correct IP Address/Subnet Mask/Default Gateway into the MIPU at both ends?

Regards
Carl
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (KRRath, Curlycord, BPopilek), 64 guests, and 408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024