web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#566729 02/20/14 09:05 AM
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
One of my pet peeves is seeing overly long aerial "tails" flapping like a flag every time the wind blows. At some point, the cables wrap themselves around the telephone poles and look really ugly.

Why won't lineworkers either open the splice cases and cut the old drops (along with shaking out any garbage that may have gotten inside)...or...cut to within a foot to avoid telephone pole "strangulation" eh

In my neighborhood, the copper is in poor shape (Verizon technicians have admitted it). The company migrates chronic problem customers to FiOS fiber. With this situation, why not fully cut old drops and be done with it eh

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I'm sure that many of Verizon's technicians would love to get paid to do this, but that is the problem. Verizon isn't going to spend a dime on anything that doesn't make them a profit. They have no interest in maintaining their copper plant in FiOS areas, so they will just let it collapse over time.

In their non-FiOS areas, it is quite the opposite. In central Virginia, they have sent all of their good copper people there to participate in massive upgrades and rebuilding of their copper facilities. Since these areas won't be included in their FiOS build out, copper is the only thing they have left. Not to mention, they have to play by the rules with copper. They can't fly under the radar like they do with FiOS with regard to the regulations.

Meanwhile, we get stuck with all of their crappy copper people here who don't know how to use a Scotchlok.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
It does go without saying that Verizon won't spend any more time/money working on copper facilities in FiOS areas than it has to.

Still...why not cut unused drops up near the splice cases as opposed to 3/4 of the down the pole? It shouldn't be that hard or time consuming to raise the ladder or bucket 15 or so feet higher and cut up at the top.

Verizon cut two drops on the pole outside the house. If I could legally do it, I would get my tree trimming pole out, fully extend it and snip the spaghetti up higher to get it out of sight/out of mind.

I can only venture to guess that there was a time in some areas where Verizon was using contractors for new FiOS installations and they weren't permitted to go that far. As you know, they are often instructed to sabotage, or otherwise render useless, any existing copper once the cutover is complete.

My stepson was an installer for at&t in Georgia for a few years and he did a lot of their UVerse installations. He told me that there were union and non-union areas of the outside plant. The union people would install the drop to the house and then the contractors could come in to finish the installation. The poles and pedestals were 100% hands-off for the installers.

Another possible reason for what you've observed could just be attributed to ridiculously-tight time allowances for installations. There just isn't enough time allotted to climb up the pole and properly remove the drop. They just cut it at ground level and run to the next installation.

Then there's always the possibility of people just being lazy.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Believe it or not...this only happened within the last 7 days. Years ago, when we swiched to FiOS, the two copper drops to the house were fully removed.

Comcast does the same thing. The old cable TV drop to our house was coiled up about half way up the pole when we switched to FiOS. My dad made multiple calls to Comcast to have someone come by and remove the coil.

It hasn't moved an inch.

Last edited by dexman; 02/20/14 02:20 PM.

I Love FEATURE 00
Well, Comcast has an equal appetite for cold hard cash, so they sure aren't going to spend a dime on it unless they can generate revenue from it.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Wouldn't it be great if LECs who are pushing to exit copper/POTS lines were required by law to fully remove the obsolete cabling from poles and conduit as a condition for their request?!

I Love FEATURE 00
Yes indeed. I do find quite a bit of irony in the fact that they go around lashing their fiber cables onto existing copper ones in order to capitalize on the existing support strand and hardware. By doing so, they are pretty much stuck with that copper forever unless they want to go back later and take everything down and then re-lash the fiber.

I was looking at another forum and a CATV installer was asking the same question about abandoned telephone drops and hardware. He said that he'll often trim back obviously dead wiring while he is up a pole, but he can't seem to understand why he's the only person who sees this as an issue,

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
I thought that the OSP fiber that Verizon uses has a steel support strand. Verizon changed the support on the house, but reused the clips down the side of the building. I snagged the round ceramic insulator (vintage New England Telephone) and the terminating block (vintage Western Electric).

Looks like the other person is not alone in our dislike of dangling cables. thumbsup

I Love FEATURE 00
I'm speaking of the feeder and distribution F/O cables. You'll notice that they are overlashed onto the original much larger copper cables using the same steel support strand. The individual drops to buildings are nearly identical to the original one-pair copper clad steel drops and utilize the same attachment hardware. This drop cable is equally-tough, in fact they bury it directly in the ground here.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,701 CTX100 install
186,789 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 105 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024