web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
You put in small unit for phones and IT comes and plugs in all their stuff.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
I always mark mine with a P-Touch (largest font) "For Telephone Use Only".

At one client the IT guy had done exactly that, so I asked him why, He said for power backup in case of a power failure. I then asked him how many of his computers would work without power. The look on his face was priceless!

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
LOL!!!

OP Offline
I went to replace APC ups and the same problem happened again after powering down the Nortel Cics and Call pilot 100, ,the system telephones don't reboot back to normal , the don't work until i pull off all telephone jumpers for digital phones and punch them down 1 at a time , i guess the system most have been corupted or power supply has been damaged and does not handle a full reboot, unless i take jumpers off ?

We are all here to help, and I wish to offer some advice in the most gentle way possible. You have gone through some weird operations of trouble-shooting that have wasted your time and made you confused and frustrated.

First, you swapped out an entire system, and the problem was probably just the incoming power. You still don't know if that's really the original cause. Now you suspect that the power supply is damaged, after all.

Finally, you are using up your time by pulling out cross-connections and re-terminating them ???!!! For goodness sakes, wouldn't it be more efficient to just go around and unplug the phones? Or unplug them right at the KSU?

Now that you think you have a reliable UPS, by-pass it, and plug the system directly into commercial power. (Have you measured the power at the receptical?)

Do you have (from one of your earlier attempts) a spare power supply? Can you swap it in a reasonable time frame?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Arthur remember when you were in the field and starting to go around in circles on a case of trouble? You'd go sit down in the coffee shop have a cup of coffee and talk about something else; and all of a sudden the light would come on and you'd have the trouble fixed. part of being some of the old true blue telephone men.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Arthur P. Bloom
We are all here to help, and I wish to offer some advice in the most gentle way possible. You have gone through some weird operations of trouble-shooting that have wasted your time and made you confused and frustrated.

First, you swapped out an entire system, and the problem was probably just the incoming power. You still don't know if that's really the original cause. Now you suspect that the power supply is damaged, after all.

Finally, you are using up your time by pulling out cross-connections and re-terminating them ???!!! For goodness sakes, wouldn't it be more efficient to just go around and unplug the phones? Or unplug them right at the KSU?

Now that you think you have a reliable UPS, by-pass it, and plug the system directly into commercial power. (Have you measured the power at the receptical?)

Do you have (from one of your earlier attempts) a spare power supply? Can you swap it in a reasonable time frame?

Its the original system , if i pull off the amphenol , dosens't make a difference , i already bypassed the ups and original outlet, i have to pull 1 side of the jumpers to the telephones and repunch 1 of the time, thats why i think it maybe the power supply, its weird problem i haven't seen before.

Jim, no, I don't remember replacing any systems, without first doing some basic trouble-shooting steps. But then again, I am inept at most things non-telephonic. Telephony trouble-shooting is the only thing at which I excel. It just seems to be something that was hard-wired into my brain at birth.

Atechguy: I still wonder at the method of pulling off cross-connections, and then re-terminating them. Why can't you just unplug each phone, right at the desks, and then re-plug them?

Have you watched the output of the power supply rails with a DVM, first with no phones attached, and then when you do the re-attachment of the phones? If you really believe that there is a power supply issue, go back and replace it with a known working one.

Have you visually inspected the electrolytics on the PS board? Do any of them exhibit swelling at the tops? There may indeed have been a power surge when Sparky was working on the generator. It may have caused a marginal cap to go bad.

Arthur P. Bloom

OP Offline
Why walk around to 12 telephones , when i can do it at the terminal block ,its faster without interrupting all those people, i have electronics certificate , and have replaced caps ,on Samsung systems, i will have to take a look at power supply and test. Thanks

12 phones??? I thought we were talking about a big system.

Because every time you remove and then reterminate a cross connection, you introduce another possible failure. Because the wires get shorter. Because you might swap them by mistake. Because it's a waste of time.

Since the system is not working properly to begin with, what's the big deal in unplugging a few sets for a minute or two? You've already theorized that the current drain is causing the PS to fail. Now it's time to prove it by watching the supply with a meter.

Arthur P. Bloom

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 86 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024