web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
2 years from now, low voltage work in CA. will be considered hazardous duty, and cause cancer. frown frown

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally Posted by Mercenary Roadie
You may not like the rules and regulations that CA has, but if you do work in the state you have to follow them. Whether you like them or not.

Maybe. But if they keep it up nobody will be able to afford to do work in the state or nobody will be able to afford anybody that does. Just look at what CARB has done to the truckers and other businesses that use internal combustion engines.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally Posted by hbiss
Originally Posted by Mercenary Roadie
You may not like the rules and regulations that CA has, but if you do work in the state you have to follow them. Whether you like them or not.

Maybe. But if they keep it up nobody will be able to afford to do work in the state or nobody will be able to afford anybody that does. Just look at what CARB has done to the truckers and other businesses that use internal combustion engines.

-Hal

I wouldn't disagree with you especially with the required B.E.A.R registration. They only have 4 inspectors for the entire state and won;t do anything unless they get a lot of complaints in one area and then they just give out warnings.

Last edited by Mercenary Roadie; 04/30/14 12:11 AM.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
SST Offline
Yes you will need a C7 and be bonded. Don't forget your seller's permit and city issued business licence...... Oh yea, and if you're selling anything with an LCD screen larger than 7" you'll need a permit for that too.

Last edited by SST; 05/29/14 11:51 PM.
I just found this thread and have had the same issue (different answers/explanations regarding a C7 license in California). My question is how does one acquire a C7 license when their former employer did not have a C7 license. Do you have to have certifiable "journeyman" experience under another licensed contractor to apply and test for a C7?
I'm an independent consultant/reseller and 99% of my business is plugging-in computer electronics (no hard wiring involved). I thought I was OK without a license, but I after reading Mercenary Roadie's comments about needing a license to screw a server into a rack, I'm second guessing myself. The exam process doesn't bother me, but I don't know how I would get a C7 license based on my experience working at a company that held no contractor licenses. Any ideas/thoughts?

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Sounds like something that the Sparky's union ram-rodded through the legislature to capture the low voltage work. Next, they'll require that 4-pair be as durable as romex. Oh well, at least perhaps they'll quit leaving only 4" of slack to use for terminations. devilgrin

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Originally Posted by MnDave
Sounds like something that the Sparky's union ram-rodded through the legislature to capture the low voltage work. Next, they'll require that 4-pair be as durable as romex. Oh well, at least perhaps they'll quit leaving only 4" of slack to use for terminations. devilgrin

Nah, that would be Chicago. What goes on in California is because of liberals running amok.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Originally Posted by klockw243
I just found this thread and have had the same issue (different answers/explanations regarding a C7 license in California). My question is how does one acquire a C7 license when their former employer did not have a C7 license. Do you have to have certifiable "journeyman" experience under another licensed contractor to apply and test for a C7?
I'm an independent consultant/reseller and 99% of my business is plugging-in computer electronics (no hard wiring involved). I thought I was OK without a license, but I after reading Mercenary Roadie's comments about needing a license to screw a server into a rack, I'm second guessing myself. The exam process doesn't bother me, but I don't know how I would get a C7 license based on my experience working at a company that held no contractor licenses. Any ideas/thoughts?

In order to qualify to get a contractors license you have to have work in that field for a set amount of time. To get a C-7 Low Voltage Systems license. You have to be able to prove you have 4000hrs working in the low voltage field. There is a form that you have someone fill out and they certify that you have the required 4000hrs.

You only need a contractors license when you add tangible property to a location.

Using your server install as an example. If you sell a rolling rack that does not get permanently mounted, then you do not need a license. If that rack is bolted to the floor, then you need a license. If you're just replacing a server or such in a rack, you do not need a license.

All cabling requires a license.

The kicker is any work under $500.00 does not need a license, but that $500.00 or over amount is based on the total cost of a project. Not just you part. An Example, Your friend is remodeling his bathroom and asks you to move an electrical outlet. You charge him $200.00, but the total cost of the remodel is $3000.00. You are in violation of contracting without a license.

If you want to know why California is so strict on Contractor Licenses. Just read some of the stories on the State Contractors License Board website (www.cslb.ca.gov).

By the way, everything you want to know about getting licensed is on that site.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
If you want to know why California is so strict on Contractor Licenses. Just read some of the stories on the State Contractors License Board website.

Like no other state has people with the same stories. Difference is the California government thinks their population is so stupid that they need to take control with draconian measures to protect them. Not that I'm against licensing, but how far do you need to go? No more than 10% upfront? What do I look like a bank?

-Hal

I'm curious then about all the home theater installers. Really, the only true "installation" that I do is attaching an LCD to a wall. I wonder how all the home theater guys do it. Does every installer that works for BestBuy have a C7 license, or does the corporation have one license that covers everyone?

Regarding the experience, does the person signing off on your hours have to be licensed with a C7 also? In my case, I turned my former employer in to the state labor board for failure to pay wages, so I don't know how I will get them to willingly sign a form to help me out now. =(

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,320 CTX100 install
187,092 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024