Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
Have a customer w/ an old Toshiba PBX that we are changing out w/ a new Avaya IP Office. This customer is serviced by two T1's (not PRI's) provided by CenturyLink. One T1 is for local calling and inbound DID's and the other T1 is for inbound 800 calls and LD toll calls. On the old PBX, no matter which circuit I make an outbound call on, the called party will show this custoemr's name and number on their phone. When I plug these circuits into the new IP Office PBX, any outbound calls show "UNKNOWN" on the name and number.

CenturyLink tells me that because these are T1's and not PRI's, that there is no inbound calling name or number and that outbound calling info from the PBX is not supported either. However I do get calling info from the old PBX, but not the new one. No matter what config I use in the new PBX, I get no calling info to go out.

These T1's go thru an external CSU before going to the old PBX. When I put my new PBX into service, I bypassed the CSU's....as I don't think they would affect any calling info anyways. Both T1's are E&M Wink Start.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this? All I want is for the customer's main number to be displayed on all outgoing calls.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I think that CenturyLink's records are wrong. Can you re-purpose the ports on the IPO to emulate a PRI rather than a dry T1 and see what happens?

T1 circuits aren't smart enough to pass outbound information. My guess is that they really are PRIs.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
I could give that a try and see what happens. All of my inbound and outbound calling is working, configured as T1 (E&M Wink Start). If I reconfigure as PRI, I am afraid my call functionality will stop. The local T1 only has 12 channels and the LD T1 has all 24 channels available. I can surely give it a try and see what happens though.

The C/L account reps have repeatedly told me that this customer is on T1 E&M and that to achieve this functionality would require an upgrade to a PRI circuit. They currently do not receive any calling info on the inbound calls on the old PBX, but every outbound call shows their name/number. I would think that if C/L is supplying this, it should show up on every call regardless of the PBX connected to the circuits.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
The ports in the C/L switch are assigned to one or more Trunk Group(s). The switch should be able to assign a telephone number to the group(s). I would have C/L verify what is there and correct as needed.

Else, ISDN/PRI will allow you to generate originating ANIs.

I Love FEATURE 00
ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have the C/L account rep contacting repair right now to determine exactly how it is provisioned. Odd how if it is a T1 / wink-start circuit, that calls from the old PBX are displaying name/number on outbound calls. C/L would have to be providing this information, which should also be supplied when the new PBX is in service.

When MCI was in business, one could order a T-1 with inbound ANI and outbound ANI. I had several of these in service at one time. Alas, when MCI went away, the only way the carriers, here, would provide CID was with a PRI.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
I just got an email from the account rep that told me CenturyLink was not providing any sort of ANI on the circuit and that it must be coming from the old PBX. Now to figure out how this PBX (which no one knows how to get into) is supplying outgoing ANI on this type of circuit.

What "old" Toshiba is it?

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
It is a Strata...but I cannot find my note at the moment as to the exact model.

An update on the outgoing ANI: I went back on-site today and found that if I place a local 10-digit call or an outbound 8XX call (which both traverse the local T1) then I get Unknown Name / Number. If I place an outgoing toll call or if I do a 1+ on the local call, the calls then traverse the LD circuit and I do get ANI to show up on the receiving end of the call.

It appears that any call that traverses the LD circuit passes along the correct info, but anything going out the local circuit does not. When I was on-site the other day, I was placing all local calls as 10-digit. I never considered trying to do a 1+ on local calling. If I do a 1+ local number, it works.

Now if I can get C/L to get the local circuit to perform as the other I think I may be good to go.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
C/L needs to check the optioning in their Local Service switch.

I Love FEATURE 00
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,285
Posts638,781
Members49,766
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,759 Shoretel
188,956 CTX100 install
187,197 1a2 system
Newest Members
James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick
49,765 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
2 members (Touch Tone Tommy, BobRobert), 107 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024