web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Several months back our receptionist recorded a special "out of office" greeting on the auto attendant, since we were all attending a funeral.

Since then, the "funeral" greeting has haunted our system. I can't seem to find and get rid of this greeting and it seems to occassionally pop up when people reach the auto attendant.

We're on a 5.346 InterTel system using DBStudio. When I look under Voice Processor - Devices - Applications... I see a list of extensions with descriptions. The one labeled "Day Greeting" falls under extension 2503. When I dial 2503 from my phone I hear the proper greeting, followed by what seems to be a similar greeting. Don't know why. The type is "call routing announcement". When I listen to the Audiotex recording listed there, the recording doesn't repeat. If I remove the day and night greetings associated with that extension... I still get a recording, but this time without the duplicate. Freaky...

Similarly, in the same list (Voice Processor - Devices - Applications) I see an extension labeled "Voice Mail". When I listen to the greeting on that extension (2500) I hear the normal greeting followed by the dreaded funeral recording. If I remove all greetings I still get the funeral greeting.

What the heck is going on?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Find the list of audiotex recordings. All recordings should show a recording time and title. If the title has not been changed, at least you can see which recording actually have a recorded message. Listen to the different messages. When you find the painful message, record over it. When you hear the beep to start recording, hang up. This will erase the recording, but it won't get rid of its placement in some of your applications. You still need to find out where that recording has been placed and remove it. If you find the recording, at least you will have a recording number to work with.

It sounds like perhaps your DB is corrupt. If no greeting shows under the app and you get a greeting that is not a good sign. It is also possible that someone has re-recorded the vmail system prompt. If that is the case you may have to reload the system prompts or at the least restore the system prompts from the sys admin MB.

ShoreTel, Inter-Tel, Mitel, NEC, Zeacom, Cisco, Digium, Adtran Certified
http://www.voipnetworkengineering.blogspot.com
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have the expertise to implement either of them.

I can see the list of Audiotex recordings and I can tell which ones contain actual recordings. What I don't know is how to cycle through them and listen to them and how to record over the funeral one. Can you help me with that process?

Also, I think Chris/Dr. Evil might be right... I suspect our receptionist might have recorded over system prompts... how else would two recorded messages play one after the other, prior to the system prompts? My guess is that it thinks the second message is a system prompt.

So.. what is a sys admin MB? Master Backup?

You can line up several Audiotex recordings in a row, and they will play one right after the other in the same processor. Secondly, you can also have a hand off. Perhaps 2503 is handing off to 2500. You need to go into the CRA and look to see if you have multiple recordings assigned, and also look to see what happens on timeout. You may find that it is handing off to the VM.

OP Offline
MacGyver... I don't see them lined up one after the other... am I looking in the wrong place? I see Day Greeting and Night Greeting on multiple extensions. None of them have multiple recordings associated with the greeting. What else should I be looking at and what's a CRA?

Thanks for the reply.

OK, let's start with some basics. First let's decide what Application needs to answer the phone. When you dial 2503, you hear two greetings. So go to Axxessory Talk>Devices>Applications>2503>Day Greetings. If you have two recordings in there, then the second one is probably the added greeting you're hearing. If not, then under the 2503 menu, go to Digit Translation and see what is happening on Timeout. Perhaps it's handing off somewhere else.

What we really need to know, is which Application is supposed to be answering your phones. If we find that it's supposed to be 2502 for instance, and you can verify that by dialing 2502 and hearing what you are supposed to hear, then we can go and make sure the inbound trunks are pointed to that application.

Do you know if your lines are supposed to ring directly into the Application or into a Call Routing Table? If it's directly to an Application, then this may be as easy as going to the Trunk Group and pointing it to the right Application, but for example if it's ringing into a CRT, then you're going to have to play with the tables.

This is all pretty basic for an Axxess Tech and is covered in the manual, but I need to warn you that if you don't have a firm grip on how that system works, you could be playing with fire. Make sure you've got a good back-up or your company may have their phones down for a day or so.

Who set up the Funeral Announcement for you? Did you add it? If it was a vendor, then it'd be well worth your time and money to find out what they did, as they would have made it a simple toggle. It could be in the CRT, it could be at the trunk group, or it could be a hand off. Whatever the case, changing one setting will probably put it back as long as you know where it was toggled.

RCA Offline
Doe sthe Recep. still have her notes on how she got to the recording? My guess is she recorded over one of the system prompts (001,002). Probably one of the easiest ways to track it down, as mentioned by dfleschute, is to listen to your recordings starting with 001. Go into your Admin mailbox, press 9 6 and start with recording 001 working your way up 002, 003 etc.

Rhett
OP Offline
Thanks so much RCA... I played system prompt 001 and it had been replaced with a custom prompt... which was the dreaded funeral notification. I set it back to the original system prompt.

So... what is the correct way to record a custom message if the office has to close for an emergency?

RCA Offline
It all depends. Whats easy for me may not be for you. The way I like to record them is by thier number. Probably the best thing for you to do is go back into DB Programming and go into your CRA's and make notes on what reocording numbers are for what purpose.

Rhett

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (teleco, BobRobert), 108 guests, and 249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024