web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#578737 10/10/14 02:39 PM
OP Offline
We are in the process of changing providers for our 2 pri lines. We use a cix 670 for our pbx. Our test run was not successful but I'm not sure I understand why. When we plugged our new pris into the pbx the pri cards did not light up in the same pattern as they do with our old provider lines. normally we have 1 card that is lit with 2 solid lights and 1 with a single flashing light. When the new lines were connected the single flashing light moved to the card that normally has the 2 solid lights and the other card had 1 solid and 1 flashing light. Our outbound test calls were unsuccessful but the carrier insists that its because we didn't program the temporary number into the pbx. Now, I understand that the temporary number should be in the pbx so that we can receive a test call and route it to a particular phone but the outgoing call should work regardless, assuming that the pri is configured properly. Is this correct?

thanks in advance

Last edited by ep phone guy; 10/10/14 02:40 PM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The heart beats (bottom LED) you are referring to are indicating which card is acting as the primary and backup clocks for the system. The card with the solid light is the primary clock and the flashing light indicates the backup clock. This would indicate that everything is good in the physical layer.

The LED right above the heartbeat indicator is a Busy indicator and shows there is an active call on that card if illuminated.

It is possible calls are not completing outbound because you need to program a valid 10 digit number in ISDN Calling Number programming. Many carriers are enforcing policy to combat PRI spoofing by only allowing calls that present numbers that belong to the circuit.

If you have the hardware to connect to the PRI card output jack you can see if the card has a D-channel which means your Layers 2 and 3 are good and also capture D-channel info that can help determine why the call is failing.

When I get tech support calls from my co-workers on similar instances it is usually due to not programming the ISDN calling number or fat fingering it and sending something the service provider will reject.

If you find that is the case, you will also need to enable number verification in ISDN Calling Number or calls forwarded to external numbers will fail because the Toshiba will try to send the original Caller ID coming in as the CPN. Enabling number verification will force the default number programmed in calling number to be sent.

If this is an issue with your customer you might be able to get the service provider to lift this. Sometimes they call the feature enhanced call forward or unscreened calling party number.

Hope this points you in the right direction. ~ Mike

Michael Meyer
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
We just cutover a customer to a PRI who had POTS lines previously. We couldn't make outgoing calls until we programmed in the outbound number.

I just noticed I reversed the status indicators. Flashing is the primary clock and steady is the secondary. ~ Mike

Michael Meyer
OP Offline
Thanks to all. This was certainly helpful. It turned out that the issue was with the carrier, not our pbx. I'm not sure what they changed but the 2nd try we just plugged it in and it worked. no configuration necessary on my end.

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024