web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
The MDF was on the 4TH floor with phone system. A 110 had 24 pairs running to the basement to another 110. I punch down and connect the phone system By rj 45 at the phone system. I toned it at the basement but only 1 pair was ringing. My main concern was 1,2,4,5. I connect my cable tester but only 1 pair shows continuity 1&2. Did I screw up or is the 24 pair crossed? It's haunting me.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by aplustechnicians
The MDF was on the 4TH floor with phone system. A 110 had 24 pairs running to the basement to another 110. I punch down and connect the phone system By rj 45 at the phone system. I toned it at the basement but only 1 pair was ringing. My main concern was 1,2,4,5. I connect my cable tester but only 1 pair shows continuity 1&2. Did I screw up or is the 24 pair crossed? It's haunting me.

You need to explain more clearly. When was one pair "ringing"?

If you don't have a pair for transmit and a pair for receive it won't work.

Need more information for a better answer, however, based on just what you wrote, it appears that the cable is open somewhere between the 4th floor and basement. It could be that the cable was used as a riser cable and each floor got so many pairs, as needed. If you can go from floor to floor and find the cable, I think you will find the cable has been opened up on a floor.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
My thought would be, if at all possible, to use actual T1 cable to establish a good path between the two floors.

I Love FEATURE 00
Originally Posted by aplustechnicians

Did you tone out the pairs you were going to use before you punched them down? That's your first step, doing anything else before you verify you have good pairs is a waste of time.

How are you going from the SmartJack to the 110 block and the 110 block to the T1 jack on the phone system?

Like has been said earlier. Need much more information.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
You should be using two separate cables for the T-1 (one for transmit, one for receive). 22AWG shielded is what we always used. If you have to use house cable you should use different binders for the transmit and receive pairs, but....

You're better off using shielded cable. General Cable used to make (might still) a 6 pair T-1 Cable where each pair was individually shielded. If you can get that then all you need is one cable. AT&T had shielded cable for T-1 but you needed 2 cables.

As far as no continuity...What all the guys have been saying. Remove your connections and ring out the cable pairs. Test for continuity and shorts and opens.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
The rule of thumb is to use shielded or, at least, different binders for transmit and receive. HOWEVER,

Verizon must have deleted that from their "Wiring For Dummies" manual. In the last 10 years, I have had every PRI and T1 brought to the demarc on house cable with adjacent pairs used or cat 3 twisted pair or house riser cable using adjacent pairs.

I had a real nasty issue with a circuit that extended 2,000' from the demarc. The building is an old Westinghouse motor manufacturing building with multiple IDFs and old, abandoned wiring closets. Verizon was hired to install cable and get the circuit to the equipment. The "team" of installers used every old cable, bridle wire and twisted pair from demarc to equipment. When they were finished, they announced "It's done. We are out of here" and they must have been "superheros" because they were faster than "The Flash" getting out of there.

Yeah, you guessed it, the circuit was so flaky it nearly was unusable. I told the client the only way to insure reliability was to install fiber from the demarc to the equipment. After several days of heated discussions with Verizon, the client and us, I finally said "I'll install the fiber, at no charge. If it works, consistently for 3 months, you will pay me the installation fee for the cable and labor. If it does not work, consistently, then you owe me nothing. Verizon assured the client I couldn't make it work. Their solution was a $15,000 "construction fee" to bring a new demarc from the street closer to the client's equipment.

I installed a 12 fiber single mode cable. I used Transition Network's mux and got two PRI circuits on just two fibers. The circuits work flawlessly. That was two years ago. Since then I have added 6 more PRI and 3 T1 circuits to the cable.

The additional circuits were billed out as new installs. I got the full price for the fiber install and a very happy client.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Good for you!

BTW...What did you wind up charging for the initial install of the fiber?

Sam

Last edited by Silversam; 03/12/15 03:56 PM.

Just under $5K

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Very reasonable for 2K' of fiber!

Sam

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,282
Posts638,762
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,438 Shoretel
188,295 CTX100 install
187,075 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024