Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ratata Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Everyone.

I have a backup pot line. If I plug a regular phone to the pot line I get a dial tone and I'm able to make calls. If I plug the Inter-Tel T1 to the pot line nothing happen, only a Red Alarm on the T1 card. I called the provider and they are no help. Do I have to make changes in the session manager, like adding the phone numbers?

Thank you in advanced for the help.

Last edited by Ratata; 03/31/15 11:51 AM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Why are you connecting a loop start line to a T1 card?

Ratata Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm a noob. Our previous phone guys had those pots line installed for backup, but I guess nobody check it. I was reading that we need to convert the pots line to a Basic Rate ISDN, and I don't know how to do that. Do I have to tell my provider to change the lines to ISDN?

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by Ratata
I'm a noob. Our previous phone guys had those pots line installed for backup, but I guess nobody check it. I was reading that we need to convert the pots line to a Basic Rate ISDN, and I don't know how to do that. Do I have to tell my provider to change the lines to ISDN?

What you need to do is get someone involved who has some telco knowledge. With the questions you are asking it is clear that you need help.

Where are you located?

What happened to the "previous phone guys"?

The post itself doesn't even make it clear what you are trying to accomplish!

You are trying to compare two vastly different types of service to each other. There is no "simple" way to convert a POTS line to an ISDN PRI. That is like trying to compare a roller skate to a semi-trailer.

Most likely, if back-up POTS lines were originally ordered, there may have been some thought in providing POTS trunk module (s) to accommodate the POTS lines.

The best advice anyone here can give you is to contact an Inter-Tel dealer in your area and have them resolve the issue for you.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Maybe the previous phone guys had the customer order a POTS line for remote programming and diagnostics.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
As others have noted, T1 service and POTS service are two different animals and, typically, require different cards/modules to properly interface.

I am not Inter-Tel savvy, so, I would also suggest bringing in someone who has the proper training, and, can secure whatever is needed so the system functions as needed. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
Admin
Admin
You need a InterTel tech or at least supply us with the proper info to help you.

What model system do you have?
What version software?
What cards are in the system?

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Ratata Offline OP
OP Offline
We have an Inter-Tel Axxess Version 11. We have 4 T1, some DKSC16, PCMA, SLC. We have a primary phone line connected to the system and that's working. We want to have a backup line connection set up from a different company just in case the primary line goes down. For some reason our backup phone company put in pots lines, maybe because someone told them to. I tried talking to them, but since I don't know the right terminology they don't want to help. What would be the right terminology that I can use to tell them what we want?

Thanks,

Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally Posted by Ratata
We have an Inter-Tel Axxess Version 11. We have 4 T1, some DKSC16, PCMA, SLC. We have a primary phone line connected to the system and that's working. We want to have a backup line connection set up from a different company just in case the primary line goes down. For some reason our backup phone company put in pots lines, maybe because someone told them to. I tried talking to them, but since I don't know the right terminology they don't want to help. What would be the right terminology that I can use to tell them what we want?

Thanks,

I would imagine they put in a POTS line as backup since the cost of a backup PRI would be very high. You need to get the POTS line connected to your system and then if the main circuit goes down you call that company and have them forward calls to the POTS line.

In this day and age a single POTS line as a backup to a PRI is kind of silly. As soon as one call is taken or made and the line is busy all callers get busy. You would be far better off forwarding to a cell since calls will go to voicemail if it is in use.

If you want to go ahead with the POTS line since you have it you need someone who knows how to cross connect the line to your system and program it. This assumes you have a card that will accept a POTS line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,791
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,125 Shoretel
188,989 CTX100 install
187,373 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 6
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024