web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#587973 04/22/15 01:30 AM
davetel Offline OP
OP Offline
my customer has a t1 voice service. they want to go back to analog service. verison tells them they are more vulnerable to hacking into the sytem for outside fraud with analog lines. is this true. thanks dave

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Well, anyone with a buttset can camp onto POTS lines and draw dialtone or monitor a call in progress.

With a T1 it would be harder in that you would need to be able to demux a full 24 channels for non-ISDN/PRI service or 23 for ISDN/PRI. Such activity requires specialized equipment and is most easily done back in the C.O.

I Love FEATURE 00
Hack verses intrude. I guess that's really the question. Hacking analog telephone lines would have to be done via connected equipment as the analog telephone company lines are not readily available to computer hacking. T1 and ISDN lines are extremely vulnerable to hacking, provided the hacker has the appropriate equipment.

Intrusion, on the other hand, is quite easy on analog lines. One need not even be in the building where the lines terminate to "butt" into the line. I don't think this is considered hacking, per se, as opposed to computer hacking. T1 and ISDN are nearly impossible to hack, unless, of course, the hacker gets into the telephone system via the T1 or ISDN and finds a path into the system. Technically, the T1 or ISDN is not hacked, but, rather, the phone system is. If the hacker has a mux/demux box, which is available, the hacker can then hack an in service T1 or ISDN. However, this would have to be an onsite hack and would not be discreet.

Let's face it, if someone wants to be malicious, they can be and it's just a matter of degrees as to difficulty. Generally speaking, a T1 or ISDN will offer more security to intrusion than an analog line.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
A new scare tactic to generate income.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Big question. Why do they want to tho back to analog service?

And yes, I agree with all the above. It's very easy to plug into the monitor jack on a T-1 DSX field and listen in, channel by channel - but that would be at the CO or the customer's premise. Analog lines - anywhere.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
davetel Offline OP
OP Offline
they had their nortel 824 with vm hacked and calls made to cuba. they have had some problems with the t1 and that is why they are thinking of going back to analog. thanks your all the info. will help with the choice. dave

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I'm not sure that a hacked voice mail would warrant switching to analog. For T1 issues, has the service provider been engaged in an attempt to resolve whatever the situation might be?

The only reason I can think of to switch to POTS lines would be if the customer's usage has dropped below the threshold where a dedicated T1 can be cost justified.

I Love FEATURE 00
^^^What Dex said...

Of course, working with Verizon is always a special kind of pleasure.

Dylan. SATUBAW (Some American techs use BIX as well)!
Originally Posted by davetel
they had their nortel 824 with vm hacked and calls made to cuba. they have had some problems with the t1 and that is why they are thinking of going back to analog.

Changing to analog would not preclude this from happening - voicemail security has no relationship to type of trunk. Granted, the calls to Cuba would be higher quality on digital trunk, but it could certainly still happen with analog. If the site doesn't dial international, first step is to simply have carrier block all international calling. You're still vulnerable to calls to countries within the NANP (Carribean island nations) - but they're not quite as wicked. You could have carrier block calls to those area codes.

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024