web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
My first install at my grandfather's car dealership.

I'll make a second post that explains everything, what was wrong before, and what is new.

It's not as neat and tidy of an install as I'd like, but absolutely everything wiring-related is labeled with what it is and where it goes. Also, space and time (my leave from the Navy) was a major factor. There's a color coded wiring chart that depicts which cable goes to which drop, where the drop is, and what each color pair (Cat 5) goes to what keystone jack in each drop. I used four port face plates.

BEFORE:

[Linked Image from s18.postimg.org]

[Linked Image from s30.postimg.org]

[Linked Image from s30.postimg.org]

AFTER:
[Linked Image from s2.postimg.org]

[Linked Image from s2.postimg.org]

[Linked Image from s23.postimg.org] [Linked Image from s14.postimg.org]

Tennessee Technology Solutions, LLC | "Business technology solutions reimagined." | (423) 665-9995 | www.423tech.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Oops, forgot the colored chart I mentioned! The printer was running low on ink, unfortunately...

[Linked Image from s12.postimg.org]

Tennessee Technology Solutions, LLC | "Business technology solutions reimagined." | (423) 665-9995 | www.423tech.com
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Looks like the system has a mixture of Definity and Magix telephone sets.

The 2nd picture down...is that an at&t No-KSU? bleh

I Love FEATURE 00
OP Offline
Now for the wordy explanation.

Looking at the before pictures...

What a mess! Notice the lovely dual floating patch panels left by the Mediacom cable guy (imagine that, who'd believe it!). I took a close up of that one, I was shocked but not surprised.

Notice the Samsung monitor, keyboard, and mouse just strewn about. These items were left after a local IT company came in, charged a fortune, and installed the odd-shaped plywood backboard (with screws all over the place drilled into the wall, 80% of which had the screw heads beneath the surface of the wood!). They came in to install VPN router and a Dell server to host the SQL server that runs their dealership management software. The VPN function isn't being used anymore, as the other location closed and moved to this location. For a while, they had two locations operating before the "cut over."

The Dell server was mounted vertically. Why, I couldn't fathom. Those servers pull air from the front and tunnel it out the back to cool off the heat sinks on the motherboard and out the back near the power supply. With it mounted this way, all of the dust in the air settling down from the ceiling air vent was getting sucked in and caked inside over time, at a much higher pace.

Notice the old GM stock car stereo serving as a stand for a nice new TP-Link 802.11ac WiFi access point. With the stereo there, it was blocking the passive cooling capabilities of the ARRIS four port cable telephony modem.

Also notice the USB SATA back up hard drive and the nice APC BR1500G UPS, just sort of belted to lean on the wall, but still easily movable.

Before, they were using a mix of AT&T 1070 series and the RCA business system 4 line phones. Without a paging system, they were hollering "Line 1/2!" at each other from across the building. Some phones had caller ID, others did not.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

AFTER:

The hardware:

- ripped out the floating patch panels, in goes a 66 block
- punched down the needed pairs for each cable run for the drops at the far end
- labeled each cable run after tracing them with a cable toner
- removed old surface sticker mount phone and data jacks, many of which were dirty and unused, and written on many times with Sharpie--replaced them with nice four port wall drops with keystone jacks--consolidated, efficient, and nice to look at
- new plywood backboard goes in

The electronics and equipment:

- installed an 8 channel DVR security system and mounted 4 cameras around the lot and inside the building
- installed TOA BG-115 paging amplifier, with two regular Sony speakers in the sales desk area and one high power horn mounted outside on the side of the building for paging sales people out in the car lot
- installed Avaya IP Office 406, with several 6400 series Definity phones, and one 4406D+ for a testing phone
- removed the maxed out Zyxel 8 port gigabit switch, and replaced it with a 16 port D-Link gigabit switch to leave room for more devices down the road
- moved the WiFi AP out into the sales area for a better SNR and better reception out on the porch and in part of the lot--the sales people use a shared iPad with an app to appraise trade-in vehicles

The organization:

- all of the Avaya 6408D+'s got nice printed desi labels, and all of the phones except for the attendant 6416D+ have the same button programming layout, for ease of use
- all of the cable runs are labeled on the color chart--I put it there for the next tech that comes in (see previous picture above this post)

I think that's about it.

See anything I could improve next time around?

Thanks all.

Scott

OP Offline
Paul: You replied while I was writing my lengthy explanation.

The phones are:

6416D+ - main office receptionist's desk
6408D+ (x4) - two for the sales desks, and one for the back financing office
4406D+ - testing phone for the networking closet

There are two analog ports on the IP Office. Port 1 is for the three handset AT&T cordless system I put in for the sales people to use when they are out on the lot. It shares one line, which is enough. Port 2 is set as a paging speaker and connected to the paging amplifier. Pressing the Page button on any of the phones directly connects you to the paging speaker. Unfortunately there's no splash tone, but the paging amplifier does mute the music while you are speaking.

Looks way better!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Nice job....for a squid. LOL

That install should work well for quite some time as long as the previous shoemakers don't come back and mess up you good work.

The only comment I would make is the back board would look better painted. It's too late for that, but you may want to keep it in mind for the future. Not only does it look better, it stays clean.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I agree about the backboard. I think that Ma Bell wooden boards were colored black.

I used a piece of slate colored Systimax CAT3 cable to match the paint for my Church install. Of course I'm partial to metal 66 block backboards...observing proper color coding...(Ed got me hooked on that!) and nice crosswiring using either mushrooms or "D" rings. But I digress wink

Nice job Scott! thumbsup

I Love FEATURE 00
OP Offline
Thanks guys! Wow, painted backboard... that's actually a really good idea. plus, it keeps you from potentially getting splinters wink

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
When installing a backboard, be sure to check to see if the local code requires the use of fire retardant paint or similar treatment. I'm not sure how stringent the rules are and the inspector is in your grandparent's area.

I Love FEATURE 00
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,089 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
jsaad 2
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 148 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024