web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#5905 04/29/05 05:49 PM
OP Offline
What is a reasonable amount to mark up telcom equipment?

Racks, patch panels etc.

Thanks,

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#5906 04/30/05 12:29 AM
This really should not be posted as many endusers visit this board.......

It has possibilities of hurting our income even more.......

#5907 04/30/05 05:07 AM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
I think Mitch is right---but we CAN talk theory. Everyone knows that if you buy something and sell it---you either make money or lose money. If you sell the item at the same price that you bought it for--you lose money because you have time invested (purchasing, bookwork, on the phone, research, handling etc, etc.) and you have shipping costs to you, and shipping costs to your customer (you have to take it out there).You also have to consider "Warranty". What happens if the piece of equipment goes bad after 1 week or so. You have to go out there, pick it up, replace the thing, then send the other piece back or have it repaired--or repair it yourself--and have it in your inventory. Money, money, time, time.
When a customer thinks he can get a piece of equipment for less than I am offering---I GLADLY let him go for it. It saves me money to NOT sell it to him. Now I'm talking about stuff that anyone can get--on the web, or in retail stores. I can't compete with Radio Shack, Best Buy, Sam's etc on PRICE. I can't compete with E-Bay most of the time --on PRICE. But I don't care to. I use those prices as guides to where MY price should be. I don't want to gouge anyone---but I will NOT sell something and not get paid for what I have invested in the piece of equipment. What I try to get paid for mainly, is my expertise, and the information I bring to the situation. I solve problems. If the problem is a "no cable, no jack" situation--it costs the customer a flat rate for me to solve that problem. I don't get into charging for cable, jack plates, inserts, screws, scotch locks etc.
So--what's the mark-up??? I know some people who charge 3.0 (3 times their cost) and I know people who charge 1.1 (10% added to their cost)---I'll bet they both end up to be the same or close to the same on TOTAL price when labor is injected into the equation.
To sum up: I knew an old telephone guy who would work backwords. He would look at a job, and decide that he wanted X dollars in his pocket at the end of the job. He would then figure out all of his costs--material, labor (on everything) and add the X dollars ---and THAT would be his price to the customer. He would not budge a dollar!! IF he had mis-judged the jobm a bit, he would tell the customer and most of the time, would be compensated for the extra time or material needed. He died a happy and successful man. Good Luck.

#5908 04/30/05 09:42 AM
Excellent subject for the Business Owners Forum??

#5909 04/30/05 10:22 AM
There is also a variance between a overhaed markup of a full-sized company that has so many more costs than a single owner than uses his house or leases a small office and doesn't have a fleet of vehicles and 6-12 technicians and supporting staff.
And I'm sure that most of the cost in NYC/LA are different than Cleveland or Akron Ohio. Some of the larger dealers actually have contracts with suppliers getting a larger discount on the Racks, Patch Panels, etc., so do they mark it up on a list or discounted price? There are many ways and many more factors to the madness. Quailty also is a varing issue on product, a Ortronics versus a panduit patch panel?
All for now...and YES this should be in the Owners forum.

[This message has been edited by Toshiba Bob (edited April 30, 2005).]

#5910 04/30/05 12:18 PM
RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
Topic moved to Installers forum.

Mark Up of Equipment

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024