web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#597967 02/13/16 04:51 PM
Tim M Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought this 66 block off eBay today assuming it was for a 37 station intercom like the Melco KR-37. However, the last pair (H/INH) was throwing me a bit and after some Internet research I came across a Valcom product (V-136HRTF) which is a hands free, talk back intercom/paging system with speaker inhibit (INH, eh?).

But even then, nothing really lines up. I guess I'll just have to wait until it arrives to see how the Amphenols on the side are wired.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4...9mTXLvchWcfp48Y2Sffem1g-W=w1200-h1600-no[/img]

In the meantime, anyone seen/installed one of these before?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
As I recall, the INH leads were a closure for accessing a PA system (cutting off Background Music). I think most of the Melco/Teltone/whatever intercoms had that setup. I'll have to look.

Sam

Last edited by Silversam; 02/13/16 05:26 PM.

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
It depends upon the manufacturer. Some INH leads do what Sam describes, and some were used to force a 19-code unit to operate as a 9-code unit.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
INH (Inhibit) leads were exclusively used on Valcom intercom units to cut off the hands-free signaling feature. In lieu of a buzzer, a 45 ohm speaker was installed within the set. They even made replacement face plates for 2830 sets with the speaker built-in.

This feature required an A lead for the intercom button. A resistor was installed in series with it to a common INH terminal on the intercom unit. Since this was a single-path intercom unit, two or more off-hook conditions via A lead would signal the unit to break the hands-free talk path to the speaker. The resistors offered enough of a readable difference in resistance as opposed to a short to ground with a typical A-Lead closure. Without the resistors, any set off-hook would create a short to ground, resulting in the hands-free intercom signaling feature to be, well... Inhibited.

In essence, one set off-hook with resistance was acceptable, but two resistors in parallel resulted in a full A lead closure, cancelling the hands-free speaker connection.

Oh, and yes: The Valcom intercom units came with a package of these resistors.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
"INH (Inhibit) leads were exclusively used on Valcom intercom units..."

Ed, I'm afraid I have to disagree. The Teltone units also used INH terminals, to inhibit a two-digit situation and force the unit to be a single-digit one. Click this and scroll down to the third document:

https://www.telephonecollectors.inf...-19-t-19-c-19-key-system-intercoms-ocr-r

Arthur P. Bloom

Bad wording on my part, Arthur. I even thought about that as I made my original post. What I meant to imply was that the INH lead on only Valcom units was used to cancel an HFAI call.

Good catch, though. Besides, you should never apologize for disagreeing with me. I'd be happy to know half of what you forgot.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OK, got it.

Arthur P. Bloom

Tim M Offline OP
OP Offline
Cool, thanks for that. Hands free intercom would be pretty cool to have. Did any of these intercom units ship with a 66-block like the one I linked to?

All of the installation docs I've seen (Valcom, Melco, Teltone) show a standard arrangement on the block which is different than what I have above.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
What you have there is a custom block designed for a particular system. The block connects to the Intercom via a 25 pair amphenoled cable. The exact layout of the block is predetermined by the wiring from the am phenol to the pins on the back of the block. If you plug that block into a different System then what it was designed for, then you may get some of the leads appearing in the "wrong" places.

Most of the Intercom units had ALMOST identical wiring layouts, but they all used a 25 pair cable. A T-10 and a KC-37 both used 25 pair cables but the layout was different. Sometimes it wouldn't matter and sometimes it mattered a lot.

You're going to have to test.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
The test consists of watching to see if the magic smoke is released when you power up. While I used to share the enthusiasm of wild 'n' crazy youths like Sam, now that I am an old fart, I prefer to do it more scientifically, and safely. It's more satisfying just to take a standard 66 block and create the wiring yo' sef.

Arthur P. Bloom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024