web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#598426 02/27/16 04:04 PM
wh8428 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a 551B Ksu id like to hook up in my work shop; I have it wired and on line 1, I can put the phone on hold, interrupter starts and lights flash. On line 2 when I push hold, the lamp just shuts off and the call drops. I have swapped the cards; that doesnt appear to be the issue.

On incoming calls on either card, the interrupter does not start, lamps dont blink and phones dont ring.

551B ksu with internal power supply and separate ringing supply.

Any help is much appreciated, I am sure there is something easy I am overlooking.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The no-hold condition on line 2 sounds like the card is bad, but since you swapped them and the trouble remains, I would check the wiring of the second line. Before you check the station wiring, here's a quick test that you can use to simulate a hold condition: take two metallic tools, such as two screwdrivers, and do the following in this order: short the T&R terminals of the line at the KSU output block. Then, while that short is there, short the A & A1 terminals at the same block. The lamp should light at the phone. Now remove the short on the A & A1 terminals while keeping the short on the T & R. The lamp should change to wink, and the interrupter should begin to operate. This test eliminates any wiring issues outside the KSU, and tests the KTU by itself. If this test results in a good hold condition, then the trouble is in the wiring or the telephone set. is the set wired for 1A2 or is it possible it was once converted to 1A? Do you have another tel set you can use temporarily? Do you have more than one tel set on the system?

As far as the incoming ring not operating the interrupter, we need to know what brand and issue of line cards you are using. (Some cards will respond to metallic ringing (across T&R) and some will only respond to grounded ringing.) That will help us figure out the ringing problem. Until we know that, consider this: Have you grounded the KSU to an earth connection? The easiest way to test if this is the problem is to run a piece of cross-connection wire from the ground screws at the top of the 66 block in the KSU to the center screw of a convenient electrical outlet. Do this and ring into the lines again.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Arthur is, as always, on the $.

Also, do you have only 1 tel set? If you have more than one, does the (line 2 hold) problem exist on both sets?

WH8428, follow up and let us know.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Some of the later versions of WE 400 cards had a weird symptom: If you picked up a line and immediately tried to place the line on hold, the call would drop. The card needed a few seconds connected to the T & R before it would hold. I believe that the 400G or 400H cards did this. It was most unsettling for an installer back in those days, not knowing that the card operated that way by (poor) design.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
That's odd, Arthur. I'm running my FIOS lines with 400H & G cards. I was using SanBar 4000F's but was having problems with ringing. I started cycling cards in and out and the later WECOs have worked fine.....

Sam

wh8428 Offline OP
OP Offline
No dice on either line now, so whatever the problem is its intermittent. The interrupter isn't starting on incoming ring either. I will post a pic of the wiring shortly.

I do have multiple 1a2 phones and cards; all have the same results.

wh8428 Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image from s10.postimg.org][/

[url=https://postimg.org/image/ud50wo345/][Linked Image from s10.postimg.org]

[img]https://s10.postimg.org/y88ez8m9x/IMG_9917.jpg

[url=https://postimg.org/image/s60s8qxtx/][Linked Image from s10.postimg.org]

[url=https://postimg.org/image/l7wo2szph/][Linked Image from s10.postimg.org][/ur

wh8428 Offline OP
OP Offline
As always you guys were on the money. I grounded the KSU properly and the interrupter starts on incoming ring and everything works properly.

Thanks for the help

Arthur, I believe it was the 400E that had the problem

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Glad to hear that everything worked out.

Sam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024