web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#599471 04/04/16 09:27 AM
Yoda Online Content OP
OP Online Content
If I swap out the NVRAM cartridge on a MICS XC7.0 with another cartridge that I've changed the capacitor in, will I loose programming on the system?

There are several expansion modules, an analog DID card and over a hundred phones. I really don't want to loose it. I will backup with a rad. Perhaps the only way to do this is to swap, then restore? 2nd question: about how long should a backup take to run? I want to be sure it's really backing up and not failing.

Thanks!
Jim

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Hi Jim,
I think you will lose the programming. What I do is run the back up and then open the workbook to make sure all the info is there. If you have a spare cabinet and 7.0 s/w you could load the programming on it to make sure.
Good Luck

John 807
Yoda Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Thanks John. I think in the back of my mind I knew I would loose programming, but wanted to hear it from someone else :-) .

I don't have a spare cabinet. Customer wants to do this over lunch time. They run all shifts so there isn't really a good time for this. I'll prepare as much as I can and go for it.

Thanks for the reply.
Jim

Yoda Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Well, I backed out on the cartridge swap today. I did a backup with the rad, and the resulting file wouldn't open for me. And it was only 344 KB in size. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. What type of file should it be? Mine was named [filename].NEW. I tried opening it with notepad, excel, etc. but just saw garbage.

It also created an Access database file with only one record in it, that had the customer name system ID.

So, I chickened out because I couldn't tell if my backup was any good or not.

Jim

Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
The file that you have sounds about right.
(filename).NEW and around 340KB.

Problem is that I have never had to restore one.
The other problem I don't know about is will your System-ID number change when you change out Cart and does it have to have the correct number to restore to. And can you do a backup without the Sys ID entered.? And will it restore without a SYS ID?
Anyone answer this?

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
I always swap the NVRAM from R1 to R2 (or form old to new), then proceed with the software upgrade.

You should not loose the system ID.

I would say 30 min to an hour for the backup but that's hard to answer. The NRU will tell you if the the backup was successful or not. You cannot view the backup file.
The Workbook will ONLY populate if you do an Acquire procedure to the correct workbook.....this procedure will take much longer than a backup.
It should restore programming even if the SYSID changes but of course no PRI settings will be present until the new key code is re-entered....have an authorized partner handy should the sysid change so they can re-generate a new key.
It can only restore to the same software level it backed up.

The sysid changes usually when their is a hardware issue/changes so dont touch expansion cards etc until the upgrade is complete.

Why are you swapping the NVRAM?
Are you upgrading software as well?

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
[Linked Image from telcopc.ca]
Toronto, Canada

Yoda Online Content OP
OP Online Content
I'm swapping the nvram in order to replace it with a cartridge with a new capacitor, so they won't loose programming if there is a power outage. The system is about 12 years old as far as I can tell (I didn't install it). They had some power problems over the holidays and lost everything. Don't want to go thru that again.

- My backup took 10 minutes to run. NRU said it was successful.
- Glad to know I can't view the backup file. Thought I was doing something wrong.
- No PRI, just an old analog DID card and a bunch of POTS lines. No keys for the DID, I don't think. There is a CP150, ver 3.1 attached, but that has its own keys, of course.
- I guess my choices are 1)Backup, swap cart., restore. - Or 2)Backup, wait for a problem, then swap cart. and restore at that time.

Jim

The cap in the KSU is gone in that case.
That is where all the programming is.

8X24 and 6X16 programming is on the software sleeve.
CICS and MICS programming is on the KSU

Choices are now
Backup, swap KSU (or CAP), Restore

10 minute backup....I gather you did that on site, I have not done that for awhile.

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
Toronto, Canada

Yoda Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Well, that narrows things down a lot. I think I'll do a backup and wait for a problem. I don't want to dig around with a soldering iron on a working system. Unless I find a spare ksu to prep with a new cap. If/when there is a problem, I'll either just restore or change the cap and restore, depending on circumstances.

Yes, the 10 minute backup was on site.

Thanks for all the recommendations and support.
Jim

And you shouldn't...the customer should pay for a properly refurbished KSU (with minor trade-in value) and not any on site open heart surgery.
No Surge Battery Backup = their problem.

Once they are swapped then do the cap on your own time/bench.
Then you have a spare backup as you should or now can re-sell as "refurbished" if required.

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
Toronto, Canada

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024