web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline

Do companies have a way to identify a computer right down to the exact computer you are signing in from?

Whenever I try to log into my chase account, I get an error message saying something like " we don't recognize the device you are signing in from" Then I have to go though a host of security questions and get the code text sent to me.

Its very annoying to do this everything especially when I am typing in the correct user name and password from the same computer.

I thought they could only get information such as Web browser used(Internet explorer, firefox, chrome,etc..), maybe operating system, IP address, and cookies stored on the web browser,etc..

Do company really have a way to recognize a computer down to an exact computer used when signing into their website?

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I have the same problem with Chase. Every once and a while I have to have a code emailed to me to gain access even though I use the proper login. Likely they set a cookie when you originally set up the account and it probably gets renewed each time you go through this procedure. Chase, like all banks is security conscious in view of all those hackings that took place. I don't doubt that you have to go through this periodically just because the credentials expire.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline

I have a software called " CCLEANER" which is suppose to clear a lot of junk files and make the computer fun faster. I think it may be set to run on a schedule. I wonder if that is deleting some kind of cookie on the web browser.

I know its a very popular software and one of the top downloaded software from Cnet's download.com

It would be foolish for Chase to reply on cookies to identify a person each time.

I have other banks and credit cards like visa and American express and never had the same problems I do with chase.

Also with chase, they take little notes on your accounts as if they are the word of GOD.

One guy at the bank said something like " I will put a note saying that I'm available if you have any future problem" and from this note, the customer service rep would absolutely 100% refused to help me at all. I had to do something over the weekend and they would tell me that they could not help me and I had to personally travel to the bank and see that one individual. The managers were not even allowed to help me because of that note.

After I got that straighten up, I had a debit card that I asked how to reset the pin and I was told that I could do it in the branch or get one mailed to me in like 2 weeks. She said she would add a note detailing the conversation.

I called in another day to ask about something else and they told me that my account was locked because someone had "instructed me to go to the branch"

Case in point is that take these little " notations" from offshore call center employees as the word of God and apparently can restrict or lockout your account based on a miscommunication of a customer service note.

Never had any other company do this before. I think most of the security in other companies are kind of behind the scenes and try to minimize inconvenience to their customers except for chase.

Sorry if this is off topic but I guess my curiosity was if a website could identify a computer behind IP, cookies, a browser information? For example, can they see the windows user login name or hardware profile of your computer?

That ain't nothing....imagine going on a two week vacation for a milestone anniversary and Chase noticing your using your DEBIT card, yes debit is a key here, and they decide to freeze your account.

I was out with a group of 25 people when the waiter returns with my check & debit card saying that my account was frozen.

Seems they noticed purchases outside of my home area and decided to call me to verify everything was alright but couldn't reach me by calling my home telephone number they froze my account, my debit account.....the account that has my money in it.

I was beside myself, they not only had my home number but two cell numbers to call but stated they would only call the number listed as home.

After contacting them they told me they couldn't/wouldn't help me over the phone but I would have to go to a local branch in the morning or wait until I was back home even though I knew all the security questions and my SSN#.

The next morning they expected thanks from me in their steps to protect my account and didn't understand why I was upset.

I had my home phone# totally removed from the account and my cell# in its place and figured all was fixed from happening again I continued to use my debit card and upon flying home and arriving at 1030pm we proceeded to check out of long-term parking using my debit card and guess what...you got it they denied it so I used another card and on the drive home I received a call from Chase asking if I was using my debit card recently, I told them not anymore and hung up.

Last edited by Toshiba Bob; 07/01/15 10:10 AM.
Yes they are able to tell if you are on a certain computer.

Anybody can.

You'll be surprised how much information is provided by all browsers.

What they do is log key items of information and if it changes they say they don't recognize the computer. Doing a lot of cleaning via something like ccleaner can trigger it. Adding or deleting programs can too.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
1 - CCleaner is an excellent program. You can change the settings so that it won't delete cookies or anything else.

2 - I'd change banks if they kept doing that to me...and you have a zillion options down there, not like us up here...

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Read this.

Then try this.

Be sure to click on "Show full results for fingerprinting".

Now map that with your IP and your PC is as unique as your DNA.

Last edited by rustynails; 03/29/16 12:43 AM.
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
That ain't nothing....imagine going on a two week vacation for a milestone anniversary and Chase noticing your using your DEBIT card, yes debit is a key here, and they decide to freeze your account.

I was out with a group of 25 people when the waiter returns with my check & debit card saying that my account was frozen.

Seems they noticed purchases outside of my home area and decided to call me to verify everything was alright but couldn't reach me by calling my home telephone number they froze my account, my debit account.....the account that has my money in it.

when you're going to be traveling call the bank and tell them when and where . It can avoid problems like this .

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Try fulltiming in a motorhome and bouncing around the east coast for four months...drove Chase and BoA crazy or should I say they made me crazy with phone calls, but I am glad they are watching out for me.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
I always call my bank and credit card company when traveling. They will flag the account with the location and dates.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 127 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024