web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all,
Currently, when we need a system phone (such as Lucent 18D), I run a 4-wire connection from the Partner ACS station port.
This is not always practical because we have long (600ft +) runs snaking through trees, poles, conduits and groundhog burrows. Some remote buildings have only one intact pair.

I'm wondering if I really need the second pair all the way from the ACS to the station.

Do I understand correctly that the outside pair on any station port on the ACS module provides only good ol' 48V power, and no signal? If that is so, couldn't I just slap a 48V DC power supply at the station and wire it to the outside pair on the jack? The obvious answer "try it" is not possible because I am currently 300 miles from the premises.

Also, our ACS module is connected to a cross-connect block through a 25-pair cable with an Amphenol connector (going through a surge protector). This is for ease of installation/removal, as the unit must be removed and stored by non-technical staff during winter (no power or heat in the building during winter).

So I am limited to 25 pairs from the ACS module. Do I understand correctly that I could feed all my system phones from one single 48V source from the ACS module, or from an external source, instead of running two pairs from each station port?

Thanks for your advice or opinions.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
The center pair (positions 4 & 5) carries analog audio and ringing voltage. That is how SLTs can be used with Partner systems. Positions 3 & 6 carry power and digital signals between the processor and system phones. Without that 2nd pair, system phones won't be able to communicate with the processor.

The Partner ACS installation guide specifies a 1000' limit for system phones and 3000' limit for SLTs.

Would wireless phones (Engenius) be acceptable as an alternative to hard-wired system phones?

I Love FEATURE 00
Bruno Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks!
Engenius phones work in most of our locations, but don't reach the remotest ones. We're looking into exterior antennas. Of course, the high price of Engenius phones is also a factor.

The Partner ACS installation guide specifies a 1000' limit for system phones and 3000' limit for SLTs.

...we have long (600ft +) runs snaking through trees, poles, conduits and groundhog burrows. Some remote buildings have only one intact pair.

If that's how you describe it there is no question where the problem is. Hack job.

Seems you are only talking about 600 feet, well within the range of even system phones. If you are having problems I suggest looking at your wiring. I would be using OSP cable properly installed with protectors at each end.

If you exceed 1000' you can always go to SLT extensions which in the case of a camp I can't see why you aren't using anyway.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Consider replacing the Partner with an IP Office or other modern phone system that only needs a single pair of wires per station.

And you definitely need to put in line protectors for outside lines and make sure they are properly grounded at all building entrances.

Last edited by Butch Cassidy; 08/30/16 02:26 AM.

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gary S., Toner), 138 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024