Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
wake #604365 10/02/16 12:01 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by wake
As a small business owner, there is only one choice.
What move? I don't think either of them is for the little guy, be it small business owner or middle class worker. I think they are both for the person they see in the mirror every morning and maybe those who pay them the most. I think the same can be said for both parties for the most part.

There's a political ad running here. Go in one door as a congressman or senator out the other a lobbyist. Sad but all too true in a lot of cases.

Retired phone dude
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
1864 #604371 10/02/16 12:38 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
A high school diploma really isn't worth a whole lot at this point. If you want a decent job in many parts of the country, you're looking at, at least, a Batchelor's degree (and I don't mean one in Liberal Arts either).

Here in the greater Boston area, Bioscience is growing by leaps & bounds. This is particularly true in the Kendall Square area of Cambridge. Why? The answer can be summed up by three letters: "M..I..T". I envision the Help Wanted boards around the campus are filled with offers for current students, and, recruiters are present at graduation to grant interviews for job openings.

I agree that kids need an education beyond high school...even if they are going to be a craftsperson. Like others, I disagree about forcing taxpayers to foot the bill above what we already do insofar as community and public colleges are concerned.

I Love FEATURE 00
1864 #604375 10/02/16 05:35 PM
A high school diploma really isn't worth a whole lot at this point.

That's the whole point! I used to be that high school got you ready for a job and life. Our whole educational system is a disgrace.

If you want a decent job in many parts of the country, you're looking at, at least, a Bachelors degree

That's BS or at least it should be. There are no "good jobs" because there is no middle class to create them like there used to be. Everybody can't or may not want to work for a Bio science company, Google, Wall street, etc. We know from our own experience that nearly 90% of business in this country are small businesses. If our educational system did what the used to do, a trades person would be ready for an apprentice position at age 18 and there would be plenty of positions available.

I'm sorry you drank the "everybody needs to go to college" Kool Aid like most parents and kids did today. Getting a college degree in the hopes of a job is like a dog chasing its tail. The sooner people realize that the educational system from Kindergarten is broken the sooner we can get back to a system that prepares our kids for what they need.

Hillary seems to think that a free college education after a free elementary and secondary education is a fix for that. What's next? Free grad schools?

Don't get me wrong, there certainly is a place for college. But it's for people who have talent or a clear career choice and goal. For the rest, college is like I say- extended daycare.

The shotgun approach- send em' all to college and see where they land helps no one except the educational institutions promoting it and making money off this nonsense.

-Hal

1864 #604382 10/02/16 10:55 PM
Admin
Admin
The college degree is not worth much more then the high school diploma. With the "no child left behind" most the kids are not learning anything in school or college. Those pieces of paper that cost $$$ are just a way to separate the rich from the poor.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
1864 #604384 10/03/16 02:35 AM
So let's say that Hillary gets elected and her free college program becomes reality and every kid goes to college after HS. The whole idea of college was to separate yourself from the rest who didn't go, make yourself better, more marketable so that you could get a high paying job. So now every other kid is on par with you. Grads are a dime a dozen. That's pretty much what's been happening already. Everybody has a degree, they don't know anything and there are minimum wage jobs waiting for them.

One of my other interests is restaurant management and there is another forum on that subject that I frequent. At least once a month some kid posts that he or she is graduating HS and asks what culinary school they should attend because they would like to be a chef. The answer from the restaurant owners and chefs is don't waste your money. When they hire they always look for experience. So the advice is to get a job in the food service industry and work your way up. Even if you have a couple of years washing dishes and doing prep work you rate higher than someone with only a school education.

I know that's good advice because I've known two people who graduated from the two top and naturally most expensive culinary schools in the world- CIA in Hyde Park, NY and Johnson and Wales in Providence, RI. Even with those credentials neither were able to find anything better than entry level positions, the same as somebody with a little experience walking in off the street. The CIA grad went into construction and has his own company. The J&W grad works in a bicycle shop while studying to be an IT "professional". ack

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
1864 #604393 10/03/16 02:25 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when job applications, even from college graduates, have misspelled words, foolish grammar mistakes and extremely poor penmanship.

We get, on average, 10 resumes a month. There are zero trade schools around here, anymore, and now I look for a Vo-Tech grad even before a college grad. AT LEAST, a Vo-tech grad has the desire to learn and does not feel "entitled." The last college grad I interviewed for a software engineer's position demanded a starting salary of $50,000, full medical including eye and dental and immediate 2 weeks vacation. She also had the boldness to ask what her "signing bonus" would be. I, politely, showed her the door. Instead, I hired a CM drop out that asked if there was a lunch break during the day. This kid is absolutely amazing and he deserves a good salary and benefits.

Both candidates need a reality check. Neither one knows what it's like to do without. Hal is 100% correct. The answer is not to coddle the little goobers, but FIX a broken elementary-secondary school education machine that churns out people that have NO IDEA what skills are needed for ANY job, much less being qualified for college.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
1864 #604427 10/04/16 07:08 AM
1864 Offline OP
OP Offline
How about when we let 550% more unvetted refugees into the country, that cant even speak English? Where Will *THEY* get the education to understand American Law?

Education means nothing when you're dealing with an Ideology.

Thank's obama.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
1864 #604468 10/05/16 02:46 PM
Hummmm....I like Pence. I think he's more qualified than HRC or DT. The way I saw the debate, I think he cleaned Kaine's clock. All Kaine could do is jab away at Trump's lack of federal tax returns. That's all the substance of his argument. Pence, on the other hand was WELL versed in all matters and questions that were asked of him.

Later today, I'll ask Phred what she thinks.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet
1864 #604503 10/06/16 04:31 AM
RIP Admin-Founder
RIP Admin-Founder
I don't get the Trumps taxes either, dwelling on a return 21 years ago. That's what a business man does, use the current laws. The government set it up and now want to bitch about people who used it. I also think if Trump can stop jobs from leaving by leveraging an import tax will really help the economy and companies will keep jobs here. And the remarks about women was when he was doing the pageant, that's what pageants are all about, too fat, flat chested..forget it, your not going to do well. I'll take Trump any day over Clinton.

1864 #604516 10/06/16 03:46 PM
Hillary figures that by hammering away about Trump not paying taxes the people are so stupid that they will believe it and vote for her. That just goes to show what she thinks of the American people.

Really, what did you think Trump should have done? I don't owe any taxes this year but here's a couple of million anyway because I'm a nice guy?? WTF

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,740
Posts636,414
Members49,619
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
Charles Duffy, Station Specialties
Newest Members
RockyTop, Homer Domer, Lane, AMS Technology C, Chrontel
49,618 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
jsaad 7
Toner 6
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 105 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2022