Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#608151 02/22/17 09:10 PM
Retired Admin
OP Offline
Retired Admin
[Just giving FREE advice]

August 1989 is when I began this part of my current career.

Work was easy in the beginning installing and maintaining 1A2 and Eagle One key systems.

Over the years it expanded to include AT&T, Comdial, ESI, Intertel, Lucent, Macro-tel, NEC, Norstar, Northcom, Panasonic,Samsung, SW Bell, (Yes, even "Sun, Moon Star"), TIE, Toshiba, Vodavi.

In the beginning the equipment was just key systems and cabling.

This quickly expanded to include Paging, Voice Mail and full structured cabling. (things were different in the 1980's)

Then the BOOM: Voice, Data, Intercom, Nurse Call, Fire Alarm, Paging, Audio/Visual, and Controls.

To install each and every one of this items requires CABLE, Yes, believe it or not, even wireless access points require CABLE.

This thing called CABLE can be install inside or outside. Just about everywhere! Up on poles, overhead, underground, between buildings. Inside is an interesting place to install CABLE because most of the time, unless requested, you cannot see CABLE...it lurks under the floor, in the walls and even in the ceiling. Cable trays, EMT, Ladder Rack, J-hooks are just a few of the fun things you get to install in Brick, Concrete and Wood (et cetera) to get this CABLE from point A to point B.

Here is where it gets interesting.

All this required hard work including, awkward position, long hours and much more. This can take a strain on your body whether you are young or old. The longer you keep up this repetitive work the faster it begins to take it's toll. Of course unless you are like me and are full of denial.

Various parts of my body have hurt off and on over the years, some requiring a Doctor's (or Hospital) visit. Most of the aches and pains are dealt with self medication. About a year and a half ago (June) a particular job I was working required modification to all Safeway grocery stores to change out their Northcom BCS to Cisco VoIP...Anyone who has worked in this type of environment knows that you can never guarantee work done by someone else. Oh, did I mention the job was BID tight?
By August I was waking up at night screaming from pain. My wife gave me an ultimatum: Either make a doctor's appointment or I am going to take you to the emergency room right now!

[short version] By the end of October the Safeway stores were finished and I continued to other projects and job sites, also I found out that I had a full rotator cuff tear in the right shoulder and a near full tear in the left shoulder.

At this point in discovering that surgery was going to be required I decided to file for the dreaded Worker's Compensation*. (I had let all medical people know that I 'may' make this a Worker's Comp case)

*dreaded from most Employers view as $$$ and Employees as "I bet the first chance they get I am going to get laid off. (happened to me because of a shoulder injury earlier in my career)
So I was sent to an Independent Medical Examiner (paid by Workers Comp) for evaluation. Conclusion: The repetitive overhead work over the years can certainly be the cause of the injury. Also there are people at this persons age that also had developed rotator cuff tears, therefore it must be age related.

Did I mention at my original doctor listened as I explained what is required doing my trade and previous shoulder injuries, concluded my handing me a pamphlet that explains that people over 60 are subject to Rotator cuff tears.

CLAIM DENIED

APPEALED

I obtained legal representation and a doctor who could give a professional evaluation of my injuries.

In March of last year I went, with legal presentation, before the Workers Comp Administrative Judge. Verdict was overturned in the end of October of last year. Worker's Comp was forced to
adhere to their own rules and regulations.

Hurrah for my side!

Now I can get relief. Oh did I mention that during this time period I worked my normal work (no light-duty restrictions)and also obtain only the minimal medication for treatment. I was working at a new job and somehow the subject of age came up. A younger man I was working with honestly tried to guess my age as early 50's. When I revealed 62 he said, "but, you have be running around and climbing ladder's all day..."

I fired my doctor who I originally saw because I didn't believe he had my best interest at heart and obtained a fantastic new doctor. During the evaluation when I explained that my previous doctor thought it common for people over 60 to have this type of injury he said: "I don't have it," referring to himself. November 2016 laid off because the project was completed.

February 1, 2017 SURGERY over night stay in the hospital and I am home and recovering.

[Here comes the advice part 1]

The medication warns of driving or operating heavy equipment and such. My wife told me that she DID NOT want me to take the stairs without her being there. I got confident and had taken the stairs unassisted a few times. Bedrooms, computer upstairs; TV, kitchen, and outside access downstairs.

February 9th 2017 9:30 am time to get my stitches out. Hurray for me!

I awoke before my wife and I thought I would get started on the day turn the heat up, take my shower. Heat control downstairs.

The next thing I know I am on a gurney being wheeled though our court yard to the ambulance.

EMERGENCY ROOM LOCAL HOSPITAL

MRI reveals 5 fractured ribs and 4 fractures vertebrae. Too much for the local hospital to handle. Another ambulance ride to Oregon Health and Science University for acute trauma care.

After nine days I was released from the hospital and required 24 hour assistance in mobility. Moving from point A to Point B using a half-walker and someone standing next to me to make sure I don't fall.

[Advice Part 2]

Everyone always asks "What is you pain level on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worse you ever felt"

I can deal with 10 even 10.5, but nothing can compare to what I can image my wife saw me at the bottom of the stairs in pain. There is not a number high enough.

[final advice]

Listen to her, she is right.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Wow! Get better and think about taking it easy. Run the numbers and see if retirement is an option.

All the best,

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I'd say your turn is over, time to hand it off to someone who can bounce better. I know what you mean about listening to the wife when she tells you to take it easy and wait for help. Like the Toby Keith song, My body says you can't do that boy, but my pride says oh yes you can. Maybe one day we'll learn. Here's to a quick healing process for you. cheers

Retired phone dude
Admin
Admin
Take it easy dude you still have a few more years to go. I'm about the same age but been doing this work since 1974. I give up pulling cables a couple years ago because it took to long to recoop ...thats what the young ones are for if you can find some that will work. Still to young to retire but to old to continue the abuse.

Good Luck and get well soon

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Dang. Hope you get better soon. You'll have to hear "I told you so" for a long time. wink

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
This reminds me why I got out of it at 61.5 years old, while I could still move, drive and other things.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Wow, what a story. Get feeling better real soon...

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Retired Admin
OP Offline
Retired Admin
I am doing great and feeling better every day. This time I am following orders STRICTLY.

Still looking forward to getting back to work, yes, even pulling cable...

The OP is meant to be a warning only. [I re-read through and it appears sections are jumbled about and I also forgot to mention Nitsuko...how could I every forgot to add Nitsuko? Must be the good drugs.

Looking for Sympathy? it's in the dictionary between Shit and Syphilis, and unlimited copious amounts on Facebook.

Thanks guys. aok

Last edited by Professor Shadow; 02/23/17 05:40 PM.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,832
Posts636,785
Members49,649
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
bravesfan, cjvio, Cory S., Jack Scott, l.landeche, TexasD
Newest Members
devben, bubblegum, Carl Arnold, Marjan Shaw, KoolBreeze
49,648 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
ramo 13
pvj 11
Toner 9
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 14 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2023