Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
My next project is refurbing a few merlin breadboxes. I have figured out the secret to getting rid of the red warning light of death. Look forward to a dissertation and photos in the Avaya forum coming soon.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The 2563 looks great. The way to get the red light not to bother you is to place the Merlin KSU about 45 miles away, in a landfill. Works every time.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Ive had pretty good luck fixing them up. Done about 4 410's and a couple 206's.I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but repairing electronics is a hobby of mine. Especially anything phone related. Besides, I can get them for about the price of shipping and turn around and sell them for a quick profit. The only one so far I haven't been able to resuscitate was a lighting hit. It didn't do any physical damage to the board but it fried the processor. Everything else was fine, so the rest is good for parts. And since the Merlin was the successor to 1A2, it has a special place in my heart. Plus I've always thought the original membrane Merlin's were just cool. Very sleek and modern for their time and a huge departure from the electromechanical systems mother had been using for the better part of 40 years.

RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi guys,

A bit off topic. I've decided that printing the designation tabs for these phones on modern printer is loss of authenticity. So I've ordered a bunch of original blank designation tabs and started my hunting for an IBM Selectric II ball head typewriter. I will keep you posted - this will be a big fun! Driving 150 miles next week on the way to my business trip to pick up one of those in red, which will perfectly match one of my cherry red 2565.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
An IBM selectric! Why not a quill pen?

There's such a thing as carrying authenticity too far! ;-)

To be honest, I use a p-touch labeler to make desis for my phone.....

Sam

Last edited by Silversam; 09/17/17 09:47 AM.

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
I always liked those IBM ball head typewriters. The mechanism always fascinated me. I'd love to own one, but I'm running out of room to put stuff. I've always wanted to set up a "retro office" with things like that old typewriter and a 565, maybe a nice oak desk and period pieces to round out the theme. I'd love to walk into that room and think I'd stepped back in time. Without the wood paneling, though!

Chris do you have a cordboard yet? All this stuff took me down memory lane and reminded me why I used to love the industry and hate it so much now.

John 807
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
I used to have a 557 cord board. Since it wasn't a real switchboard, I ended up selling it.

RedBul Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by ChrisRR
I always liked those IBM ball head typewriters. The mechanism always fascinated me. I'd love to own one, but I'm running out of room to put stuff. I've always wanted to set up a "retro office" with things like that old typewriter and a 565, maybe a nice oak desk and period pieces to round out the theme. I'd love to walk into that room and think I'd stepped back in time. Without the wood paneling, though!
Exactly! And why not to take this fantastic piece of machinery if it's available now at 10-15$?! Also have an idea to build an office of the past...
I like repairing things and cleaning things, bringing them back to life. Selectric is just a masterpiece with fully mechanical digital-analog converter and lots of point to oil. Will have fun with it, it's not only for designation tabs.

Last edited by RedBul; 09/17/17 06:44 PM.
Admin
Admin
In the very first days of personal computing (about 1979-1981) they made a Selectric interface. It was a solenoid panel that fit over the keyboard and tapped out your print. Remember, dot matrix printers were ugly and didn't even have descenders on the lowercase letters. Qume printers were VERY expensive in 1980's dollars, and the poor guy like me didn't have hundreds of dollars to buy one anyway something like 40 of them.

If you have time to waste, there are some articles and a thread on the interfaces here: https://www.google.com/search?q=IBM+Selectric+keyboard+interface&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Page 6 of 19 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 18 19

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,459 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,091 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
dexman 2
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024