Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#615196 01/05/18 03:04 AM
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Just found out that the Sears store that our family always shopped at in Burlington Mass is closing. It is one of only three or four remaining stores that were present in the Burlington Mall when it opened in 1968. Sad to see what has happened to Sears over the years. I'll drive over to see if there are any good deals in the Tool Department once the Liquidation Sale begins.

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
It's sad to say that this is the state of retail in our lifetimes. I'd like to blame it on the Millennials, but the truth is, we're also responsible for the demise of the traditional retailer. We all shop on-line now, and in many cases, the only reason that we enter traditional retail stores is to touch and feel the product before we buy it elsewhere. Amazon effectively put all of the traditional booksellers out of business years ago (B. Dalton, Borders, and likely soon, Barnes and Noble). After that, they killed the big-box electronics retailers (Circuit City, H.H. Gregg, Radio Shack). They now have their eyes set on what's left of the retail industry. The big ones have stepped up their on-line game in an effort to stay ahead of them, but like the lion chasing a lamb, it's just a matter of time. Wal*Mart will survive by eliminating what's left of K-Mart and Sears. They just announced another 100 K-Mart and Sears store closures on top of the pending 250 today. J.C. Penney and Macy's are next. Macy's just announced the layoff of another 5,000 employees and the closure of 100+ more stores.

Shopping malls have become nothing but hangouts for hood rats. Nobody feels safe in going to them, even in the safest areas. Hoodlums have nothing better to do than steal instead of working. It's too easy for them.

The sad fact is that server farms are a lot cheaper than retail square footage. They can be located anywhere with a good connection to the Internet. Fulfillment centers can be located where labor costs are low and transportation is readily available. There are no employee issues, lower taxes, no liability (injury) issues and there is a much higher level of retained profit. I can't blame them.

In the small town where I lived in VA, many of the traditional entertainment venues, like bowling alleys, skating rinks and movie theaters are closing. They are being replaced by apartment complexes and storage units. The same goes for traditional sit-down restaurants. The new thing is to order on-line and have food delivered. Taxi companies are next. On line services such as Uber are killing them. Millennials ARE to blame for this trend, but it can't be stopped. The only thing that they will leave their homes for are Starbucks coffee and sushi.

Still, I hate it too.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally Posted by dexman
...I'll drive over to see if there are any good deals in the Tool Department once the Liquidation Sale begins.

If it's anything like up here, don't get too excited. They rose the prices beforehand, so even with their 40% off or whatever you're still paying about as much as before.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Admin
Admin
No sales at all at any of the stores that closed around here. They just moved the inventory to the stores that stayed open.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
The ones by me are still going strong.

Ed,

You are exactly right, "we all shop on line now" and yet we complain about it when customers do. Strange how the internet has hurt our industry but others tell you it is the greatest technology out there. FYI.....shopping malls are good for homeless people to hang out in during cold spells.......or the library.

It's all about adapting and staying in line with or ahead of.......just not sure when it ends. Can't keep doors open forever if they aren't making money. It is sad.

BTS
Who remembers when Sears and Montgomery Ward were mail order catalogue companies? I guess they were ahead of their time then?

John 807
I surely remember, mail order was a big thing back then. I also remember Allied and Newark Electronics who are still around. I guess we have gone full circle.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Closest one to me closed last year...there was one in Mentor OH, about 30 mins away...it closed six months ago.
Only 2 stores left in Northeast Ohio.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Times change. No more ice delivery, no milk delivery, ect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,830
Posts636,775
Members49,645
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
Florencio, HtownDan, Kerry2362, Lorena Catalan, SWB, telecom5000, Tex Tel Marine
Newest Members
Marjan Shaw, KoolBreeze, PhoneGuy827, julesm, Helen.D
49,645 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
ramo 12
pvj 11
Toner 9
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2023