web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
dexman #629258 04/19/19 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by dexman
Is this a commercial or residential service? Massachusetts is Verizon territory so at&t acts as a CLEC in these parts.
Residential, single family home, not so densely populated area (highland park, IL), so I was surprised
1 gig is available also, but pointless due to my firewall 150 mbit max throughput.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Cepega #629259 04/19/19 12:25 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Sounds like this particular service is at&t's version of Verizon FiOS.

I had FiOS installed at the house soon after Verizon began selling it in our town. Been a happy customer for years. Very few problems. When a problem does occur, Verizon has been good about getting it resolved in, what I would consider, a reasonable amount of time.

The weak spot is the battery backup system for the ONT. The battery needs to be replaced every-so-often. I've had to have the battery charging unit replaced multiple times over the years as they do eventually malfunction.

No compatibility issues with my Avaya Partner ACS or any of our computer equipment. smile

I Love FEATURE 00
dexman #629333 04/24/19 01:57 AM
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
The weak spot is the battery backup system for the ONT. The battery needs to be replaced every-so-often. I've had to have the battery charging unit replaced multiple times over the years as they do eventually malfunction.

I read an article a while back - sorry I can't cite a reference offhand - that some phone company was repairing and re-certifying their copper infrastructure and just putting 48V battery on the pairs to power their fiber ONT's. Always on, no need to replace backup batteries, and no fixing blown out power supplies.

Makes sense. Every LEC just lashes their brand new fiber over the existing copper anyway, and it's already going to the same places. May as well use it for something.

Cepega #629335 04/24/19 04:50 AM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
I can only wish that Verizon had included a power feed with fiber when installing FiOS.

But with Verizon looking to get away from land-based delivery in favor of an OTA approach, I have my doubts that it would make any effort to do something like that now.

I Love FEATURE 00
Cepega #629358 04/24/19 06:52 PM
The back up power for new Fios installs in NYC consists of an optional battery box that holds 12 D cells. There is a manually operated switch on the box that is turned on in the event of a power failure.

ugly1 #629359 04/24/19 08:02 PM
It never ceases to amaze me what Verizon installs for FiOS. It's like a different salesman comes by every few months and says "I can give you a really great deal on this if you buy 100,000 pieces." I've probably seen at least half a dozen different ONTs in the last three years. They went from this huge outdoor unit to one that is about the size of a 4 port switch that sits with the other IT crap.

If you want battery backup just supply a UPS. What's the problem?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
ugly1 #629365 04/25/19 04:19 AM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Originally Posted by ugly1
The back up power for new Fios installs in NYC consists of an optional battery box that holds 12 D cells. There is a manually operated switch on the box that is turned on in the event of a power failure.

I have the first ONT that Verizon used for FiOS installations. It is large and made by Tellabs. The battery backup uses a 12v sealed battery as opposed to the multi D cell.

RCN salespeople stop by the house once in a while looking for us to switch. They claim that RCN now has their own fiber in our area. A quick look at the utility poles along the street doesn't quite support that statement.

I Love FEATURE 00
dexman #629417 04/26/19 07:07 PM
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
But with Verizon looking to get away from land-based delivery in favor of an OTA approach, I have my doubts that it would make any effort to do something like that now.

They just don't want anything to do with being a phone company, do they?

Cepega #629419 04/26/19 07:25 PM
Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
It looks like they want to a content provider as opposed to a communications company (outside of mobile services). We shall see how this all shakes out. Last week a Verizon trunk spent two days in the hole in front of the Church. Something was either being pulled through conduit, or preparations were being made for a pull. I didn't want to pester the workers, so I minded my Ps & Qs.

I Love FEATURE 00
Cepega #629421 04/26/19 07:55 PM
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Everybody wants to be a "Content Provider" but it seems like no one has any interest in providing or maintaining the infrastructure to get that content from one place to another. Everybody is all excited about this new craze called 5G.... Go ahead, drink that kool-aid right up. Even my father is ranting about it... First off, it'll be years before that tech makes it to podunk New Hampshire, then what? Yippie, its fast internet, that's what EVERYBODY wants, right? Except it's still going to be considered cellular data and all the stupid data caps and pricing will still exist. Great, I'll have 10 gig speeds (or some over-hyped claim). It just means I can hit my 4 gig cap on my phone that much faster. But, my father says, it's an alternative to Comcast for the internet in the house.... Riiiiight.... With what sort of per gigabyte charge and what sort of data cap? They're going to want to pay for this new tech roll out somehow... We use better than 400 gigabytes (yes, bytes, not bits) of data over our internet connection every month in my house. There's no way that will be cheaper over some new-fangled network run by the greedy cell carriers. Not to mention, the range on this 5G is next to nothing so there's going to have to be nodes/tranceivers/repeaters on every third utility pole? You can't tell me there won't be fiber or something connecting them all back to some head end. Why not just take the same damned fiber and RUN IT TO MY HOUSE. I mean, seriously, how fast does data need to be on a handheld device. I find 4G LTE to be plenty fast enough for anything I do with a cell phone.

Since I'm on my little rant, I'll relate some observations I made when driving into Somerville, MA the other day. I was killing time waiting for a friend to come out of his apartment, so I was idly looking at the utility poles and the general decrepitude of inner city utility wiring and a thought occurred. You would never see this level of ineptitude in New Hampshire. I wish I had a picture of the rats nest of wires that were hanging in front of my friend's building. That's Verizon territory. They just do not care, and the company doesn't want their employees to care. You drive into New Hampshire and look at the condition of the outside plant compared to Massachusetts and it's night and day. Yeah, it's not perfect, but it doesn't scream IDGAF like I saw down there. CC has gotten pretty much all caught up on attachment moves, the splice cases have been fixed and sealed meaning no more trash bags taped over them, and the general workmanship is just better. Yeah, I gripe that there's no fiber where I am, but I'm still grateful to have a company in town that seems to give a hoot about their subscribers and their equipment.

Verizon should take notes.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,109 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,807 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, BobRobert), 156 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024