The thing that gets me is how RBOCS...especially Verizon...want to get away from copper...yet...when given the ok to offer fiber in a particular town or city...will request numerous exemption/hardships to avoid paying a little extra to install the upgraded services.

I've been a FiOS customer since it was first offered in town. Yet, there is no FiOS service available to my church 5 blocks away. Why? because power, phone & cable TV lines are underground and Verizon doesn't want to pay to trench the property line in order to lay fiber to our building as well as the other two buildings on the block. To be sure, Verizon does have empty conduits under the street in front of the building (technicians have pointed them out to me when I've stopped to chat with them).

To be fair, the copper service has been very good over the years. The reason is, most likely, due to the fact that the cables used to get from the C.O. to the church are all underground, so, they are well protected from the elements. The problem is Verizon will only commit to a max Internet speed of 7 down 768 up. Also to be fair, neither of the cable providers (Comcast and RCN) will service the church building and neither have conduits under the street in front of the building. One of the cable providers offered to install a drop from a utility pole on a side street to the back of the building, secure the cable to the back outside wall, drill a hole into the structure and run the cable throughout the inside rooms to get it to the phone closet. My response was "Call us when the company is willing to correctly run the cable to get to the closet.".

My guess is that Verizon won't offer the church any upgraded services unless it elects (and the town agrees) to install 5G OTA transmitters.

I Love FEATURE 00