web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#616994 02/26/18 10:40 AM
OP Offline
Our hard drive is beginning to fail. We're able to take backups through Toshiba's voice mail backup utility. (We run two backups: Auto Backup and iES32 HDD Exchange program)

Our vendor doesn't work on the older iES32 as apparently it's wayyyyy out of service now.

I've tried to clone the partition but it doesn't seem to boot in the iES32? No resizing being done, just a straight copy. The cloned drive will try to boot on a standalone workstation so I'm fairly certain the partition is bootable.

Is there a special trick to cloning the drive? I was trying to clone the drive onto a cf card in an ata adapter. I'm going to clone the cf card onto a regular old laptop hdd tonight and see if that will boot.

Does anybody have any experience with refurbed iES32 cards? If we buy a refurbed unit *should* our Toshiba vendor be able to restore our backup onto it? We have 8 ports, fax, and 90 um licenses that we'd sure like to not lose.

(Obviously our vendor wouldn't be on the hook for warranty support on a refurb...)

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

OP Offline
Took the cf card and cloned the partition to a Hitachi 60gb pata drive. Installed the Hitachi onto the iES32 and it booted right up. Booted much faster than the Toshiba drive (likely less timeouts on the sector issues?).....

The only thing I noticed was the Toshiba drive was jumpered for cable select. Not sure this is an issue or not so I jumpered the Hitachi the same way.

My cf card adapter doesn't have a jumper option for that.

I'm gonna order a different ata cf card adapter and see how that goes.

(Just thought I'd add this to the thread in case someone else is going down a similar path.)

I used a few different cloning software. Even thorough it should have been a direct copy, some worked OK and others did not. I was also able to copy the image to a CF card with an adapter. .

If I can remember the cloning software i used, I'll send you a message.

The backups should copy the licenses, but don't try to restore the licenses to a different Stratagy iES.

OP Offline
Thanks for the info!! I'll keep that in mind.

I never could get my cf card & adapter to boot on the iES32. Not sure why? My cf card was a 16gb sandisk ultra. The adapter was a syba dual compact flash adapter. It'd try to boot on a separate pc.

Not sure if the combination just wasn't what our iES32 wanted? (Doesn't really matter now.)

Got a Transcend mSATA ssd and a mSATA to 44 pin ide adapter from Amazon. I liked the idea as the adapter came in a case that mounted like an hdd. I figured easy mounting?

Never could get it to work. I couldn't even get it to boot on a standalone machine. Even Windows said "no way" to installing. That adapter went back.

Finally settled on an ableconn iide-msat adapter from Amazon.

Used Acronis True Image to make an image of hdd. Then restored the image onto the Transcend drive (which was in the ableconn adapter). Set the jumper to cable select on the ableconn. Booted right up in the iES32.

....and we left voicemails to our coworkers happily ever after.....

I am pretty sure Acronis is the software I used to make a good image. I currently don't have it installed, but I found the .tib files I used to copy the image.

Glad you got it working.

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,099 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,799 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Professor Shadow, Toner), 178 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024