Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#617537 03/10/18 12:22 AM
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
Thought I would share two pictures of some of the results from the second Nor'easter than plowed through Massachusetts a few days ago.

[Linked Image]
This is the FM antenna attached to our chimney. One insulator was destroyed while an element was bent downward. We still use this antenna, so I'll need to determine what, if any impact, the damage is going to have.

[Linked Image]
One of the drops to a house a few doors down from us is now sagging/drooping. I'm not sure if the support clamp broke or became dislodged. Just hoping that no tall vehicles go flying down the street.

I Love FEATURE 00
Atcom VoIP Demo
VoIP Demo
When I was doing antennas in my youth, a storm like this was always money in my pocket. The ice build up and resultant weight on the elements of consumer grade antennas made them all droop like that one on yours. I always installed Channel Master antennas that used seamless aluminum tubing for the elements. Then for the commercial jobs I used Jerrold or Taco commercial antennas which had bolt-on heavy aluminum elements. It's tough to find any kind of good antenna today, obviously since there is nothing in the VHF band (except FM) and even though everything moved to UHF there just isn't any demand there either. The FM antenna I have on the roof (Yagi design like yours) I got from Taco in Canada a number of years ago. I see that the Taco domain is for sale when I clicked the bookmarked link just now.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
The manufacturer of this particular antenna (I can't think of the name off the top), like Taco, is long gone. Luckily I purchased two of them at the same time, so I have a boxed spare to fall back on if the current one is too far compromised.

I do have a Channel Master Ultra-High Crossfire 3672 still in its box in the attic of our garage. With VHF TV now a distant memory, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort for anyone to put it up just to capture UHF signals.

Shame that Channel Master destroyed that engineering sheets for the Parascope models. Those would be great for today's UHF-based television transmissions. thumbsup

I Love FEATURE 00
Channel Master made two lines. I don't think the Crossfire was the good one, it had the rolled elements with a seam. Can't remember what the better one was called that I used. It had a double crossarm and a compartment with a door in front for the matching transformer.

ETA: Channel Master Quantum. Sold a lot of 1112s.

1990 Channel Master catalog .pdf

-Hal

Last edited by hbiss; 03/10/18 03:58 AM. Reason: Add catalog information

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
The Quantum was the high end for sure. I remember having an Ultra High Crossfire 3674 attached to the chimney forever and a day. I think that I stayed with the UHC line because that was what was already up there.

My dad was a bit nervous about having a larger antenna like the 3672 as he was afraid that the chimney would come crashing down. Never happened. The chimney held up perfectly and the antenna was in excellent condition when I took it down after we had FiOS installed.

In hindsight, I like the idea of being able to install an amplifier module inside a protected compartment. Being able to directly connect coax cable and eliminate the need for a transformer would have swayed me had I been thinking along those lines.

Still, the Crossfire and Ultra High Crossfire were legacy products dating back to when 300 ohm transmission line was used. Now why Channel Master doesn't incorporate the modular feature of the Quantum into its current product line is a mystery. Does 300 ohm cable still exist?

I Love FEATURE 00
Yes.

John 807
dexman Offline OP
Spam Hunter
OP Offline
Spam Hunter
What sort of applications does it have today? Coax cable is the go-to for consumer antenna installations as well as commercial. I remember finding out that 300 ohm has lower loss per foot than, say, RG-59 under certain conditions, but, coax has better interference rejection. Unlike standard 300 ohm, Channel Master used to sell a version that did not need to be twisted. It could be inserted into standoffs as-is.

I Love FEATURE 00
What sort of applications does it have today?

Probably not much. When was the last time you saw a TV with a 300 ohm input? Twin lead dates back to the early days of TV. It was cheap and easy to use compared to coax for which the ubiquitous "F" connector wasn't even invented yet.

By the way, the Quantum was a 300 ohm antenna, you put your matching transformer in the compartment. I never used any Channel Master electronics, only Jerrold or BT.

I never installed an antenna on a chimney. Reasons are many particularly with oil heat or a fireplace the soot will damage the antenna. I've seen chimneys where the only thing holding them together was the straps for the antenna mount. It's cheap and dirty that's why it was done. I always used a tripod or brackets, whichever was appropriate.

-Hal

I remember my mom's sister who was also my aunt , she had one of the first remotes I had ever used . You could hear it clicking the channel knob as it changed stations . She also had a motorized antenna mount in the roof . It was fairly high tech for the early 1960's . It was a small town of less than 14 ,000 residents , which now has a population of 500,000 .

Ground is Ground the world around !
Ham Radio

John 807
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics93,820
Posts636,739
Members49,643
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
Today's Birthdays
Airdale, AnnetteLee, AnnettesDayIsUg, bigboy, Blackline, boomj, db Communications, gwh, samcorcione9111, Victor D.
Newest Members
julesm, Helen.D, AlAl, mike hurford, Nigel S
49,642 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
pvj 12
ramo 11
Toner 9
dans 5
Who's Online Now
3 members (nortelvoip, jeffmoss26, PhoneGuy827), 172 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: Business Phone Systems | Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers.
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2023