web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
While this is a very serious thing here we do try to find the light side when we can. I saw this video and thought it would be a fun call out for an experienced line person to come fix this.

Michael Meyer
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Waiting for the pole to fall....waiting...waiting...

I must be cold hearted because I don't have a ton of sympathy for the people who chose to live that close to an active volcano. I lump them into the same category as people that move next to an airport, then complain about the noise.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
let the lava cool=fixed, set in rock

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Well I guess I am double stupid because I live on an active volcano AND near the airport lol...

I am far from this action. Earthquakes from this event have shaken things up a bit. If an earthquake is offshore then a localized tsunami is possible. I actually like living near the airport because I am interested in aviation. It is busy enough to get my attention but not too much. After 8 or 9 PM there is little traffic. Modern planes have much quieter engines than they used to as well.

Many people that chose to live here understand the risks. I do and accept them. Lava could come through Hilo, the city I live in, if Mauna Loa erupts. There is historical precedent. While it is unlikely to happen tomorrow, next week, or next year, it is nearly 100% probable it will happen in the long run.

I noticed in the video that the lower line finally snaps between 3:00 and 3:30.

Michael Meyer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Originally Posted by Meyery2k
Well I guess I am double stupid because I live on an active volcano AND near the airport.

...just be glad your name isn't spelled Myers' or that would be strike three! grin

Spent 10 days in Maui in Feb/Mar this year. I really wanted to make it to Haleakala but spent too much time at Fleetwoods, Nakaele Blowhole and avoiding the Geckos!

Much different than Oahu. I do like the Honolulu Festival...especially the fireworks show!

If I could afford a $1.1M studio I would like to retire there.

I need to get to the Big Island some day and visit the Observatories.

Mahalo,
Dean

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I've often asked similar questions regarding overhead utilities in California. With all of those beautiful views, why mar them with aerial utilities? That was my question at the time, anyway.

It didn't take long for locals to set me straight. Any cable in the ground will soon become either a banjo string or be broken into pieces within a few years due to the movement of the earth.

They say this, yet they distribute natural gas more commonly than water there. That makes no sense to me at all. Don't pipes stretch and break too? There's no major heating load in southern CA, so there isn't much demand for gas, so why?

These utility questions often have me shaking my head.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Aerial is cheaper then direct burial and much cheaper then conduit burial.

I can't speak to the problems of earth shifting in California - It's not something I'm up on - but.....

When you install electrical conduit, even within the same building, if you cross a section of the building that was built independently, then you need to install an expansion joint. I've seen runs of 4" pipe installed one day and when you come back the next morning they're twisted like a pretzel. Install an expansion joint (which allows for flexibility) and there's no problems. Do such things exist for buried conduit? I don't know. I've installed buried conduit (galvanized as well as pvc) and pulled cable through them with no problem (here in the Northeast). Most of the buried cable plant in NYC runs through clay duct banks. I imagine they're cheaper to install and while they do collapse (age or damage to the street) , they seem to work well.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,337 Shoretel
188,997 CTX100 install
187,389 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024