web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#619740 05/10/18 07:11 PM
ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a customer with an old MICS that has one expansion trunk module and one expansion station module attached to it.
For the past week or so, they say one of the phones, (x254/p302) will randomly go down and come back up. I have replaced the phone (M7310), moved the station to a different port, tried a different jack and pair from the MDF to the desk, and the problem persists.

The only thing I hadn't tried was to reboot the system. I rebooted, and now p302 will not come up at all. In maintainance, it says the port is unequipped. I can disable and re-enable the port, but no change. When you plug in a phone, it simply flashes and never does come up. Tried turning on set relocation and moving this phone to a vacant port, but the phone came up as the station that is default on that port. Tried a different phone on p302 and no different.

Could the station module be going bad?

If I were to replace the station module, will my port numbering change or stay the same as it currently is?

I have never seen a problem like this before, so I am stumped.

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

shut off set relocation try a different station mod and 25 pair cable if you can. your extension numbering should not change and you don't have to shut off the main ksu.

Do you have a 2 port fiber or 6 port fiber. If you have a 6 port fiber I would add a station mod and move the cross connect to the new station mod.

ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
It is a 6 port card.

This system has been in service relatively trouble free for about 25 yrs. I believe it is still the initial software release.

You think I can replace the station module w/o powering down the main cabinet? Do to the age, I'm hesitant to change too much. I'm concerned that my port numbering will change if I change out the station module.

Online Content
You can add or remove modules without powering down the KSU.

I would start with trying the phone right at the KSU 25 pair to omit cable issue and yes try another 25 pair quickly.
Could be the port on the station module is bad or corruption on the DN/Port.

I would copy programming from bad port to new port then change DN and rename.

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
[Linked Image from telcopc.ca]
Toronto, Canada

ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
I had already tried the phone directly off of the MDF, no change.

For the time being, it looks like the specific port is corrupt.

The system will not let me copy programming to another extension, as it says the original port is unequipped.

For the time being, I moved the phone from x254/p302 to x241/p121 and renumbered 241 to 254 and programmed as was needed.

Customer doesn't want to replace station module at the moment. Honestly, this is the first problem this system has had in its approx 25 yrs in service.

Thank you all for the suggestions and information. Much appreciated.

ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
An update,

I just found out that the problem is still happening. This phone (which I've replaced once), is on a new port and I renumbered the DN so that is matched what was existing.

The new port (241) is on the main cabinet. The old port (302) was on the SM. If the SM is corrupt, could the problem follow the DN? I'm using the DN that was on 302 and moved that DN to 241.

what about the wiring to the jack and is this a bix block?

ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
No bix involved. All 66 blocks.

I have moved to a new port on the system and a new pair all the way from the MDF to the IDF and moved to a new jack/station wire as well. Also new base cord when I replaced the phone.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Have you changed the 25 pair cable? Are there any junctions throughout the path....been there, done that. Had 2 x 25 pair connection points, 1 of which was well hidden & corroded. When you changed the port did you leave it in service as that extension number for awhile to see if it worked (but with a different DN)?

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Online Content
"could the problem follow the DN? "
As I said above "or corruption on the DN/Port" so yes either or can have corruption so if it's the DN then yes it will follow.

When you move the phone to a new port you should be turning set relocation off first and do not re-assign 254.

Change DN 241 to 254, this should put 254 back onto PT 302 and 241 back onto PT 121
Name 254 as CORRUPT and tag port 302 the same.

See if 241 on PT 121 functions as normal, it it does then leave it as is.
Assign Answer DN of 254 on 241 so they can still receive calls as if they were still 254.

Fini

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
[Linked Image from telcopc.ca]
Toronto, Canada

ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
Moved the phone to the distribution block directly off of the KSU. Same problem. On two different ports (original port on the station module) and the new port is on the main cabinet. So I do not believe it to be a cable 25pr cable issue.

Set relocation was off when I took the set and plugged it into port 122. It came up as 241. I have not left the phone as DN 241 long, so I can't say if the problem would appear if I left it that way.

Other than replacing the station module, that would be the only thing I can think left try. That is to do as you suggest, leave as 241 (see if runs normal) and set the answer DN for 254.

ffej010 Offline OP
OP Offline
I thought I would update on what I have found:

Customer had called back saying that since moving the phone to x241, it still would randomly reboot. The only thing I hadn't done at this point was try another phone. I had a new T7316 with me in the truck, so I plugged it in. It came up and I told the customer I would be in touch about swapping out the station expansion module.

I got a call two days later, that the phone had been staying up with no problems, which surprised me. I told them to give it a few more days and we'll see what happens.

Well fast forward to last week, and the phone has been staying up solid for 3+ weeks. Now I started kicking myself, that maybe it was just dumb luck that I had grabbed some bad phones off of the shelf in the shop. I told the customer I was going to try moving the T7316 back to its original port (x254) and see what happens. Well this phone will not come up on that port either, just like the 2 or 3 M7310's did. I moved the T7316 back to x241 and left an answer DN key for 254 programmed on it. So far it has been working.

Not sure why the T7316 is working when others wouldn't, but the customer is satisfied. Although I am still stumped.

Thank you all for the help and information.

The MICS , is Mixed up and suffering from Digital Senility, do to age and mixed up neuron synapse pathways are confused . Early warnings signs of total failure unless upgraded .. angel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,112 Shoretel
187,717 CTX100 install
186,810 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Curlycord), 55 guests, and 432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024