web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello there!

I have a Vodavi Triad 9073-00 Ring Generator and I'm trying to turn it in to a push button ringer for the stage. After hours of reading all the manuals I can get my hands on I'm still getting stuck... because I don't really know what I'm doing!

I've got it powered by a 48v wall wart (to blue) and I'm trying to ring a Cortelco 2554. When I short the two "ring" wires (Yellow, White) the Vodavi Unit buzzes pleasantly and the LED lights up but the bell will not ring on the phone UNLESS I scrape the leads together ever so gently. But this is no good for my use.

When I use a multimeter I register a steady 25v from the "Ring" leads when put together. Something is up and I don't know enough to move on!

Is there a ring inhibitor I need to know about?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I would look like a hero if I can get this prop phone to ring by Tuesday.

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Online Content
Explain "Ring leads being put together" if you mean shorting them together than yes your going to get a voltage drop. Explain how you have this bell wired. You should probably have 70 to 90 volts across the leads on your multimeter when the button is pushed, if you don't the unit may be bad. I can't find a schematic diagram so I don't know what your input to the unit should be or on what wires output of the ringing voltage are. You also state your power supply is going to blue, which I assume is wire color, the other side should go to a common someplace, just one wire won't do it. There's some pretty good Vodavi guru's on board that can probably explain this better. Whatever you're using for the ring generator one side should come from your power supply to the button lead from the other side of the button to your bell (of proper voltage) than the other side of the bell to the other lead of the power supply. Hope this helps some until better advice comes along.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Thank you! Yes I am shorting the two ring leads

According to the manual the wiring goes like this

Green Ground
Red 12 V (battery backup)
Blue -48V
White Ring
Yellow Ring

I have my -48v power source wired to the green and blue.

I did not realize BOTH Ring wires were to go to the phone. I don't know if I've tried that.

Just reading this was helpful to organize my thoughts a bit and I'll do some experimenting and report back.

OP Offline
Calling all Vodavi Gurus!

Do I have to supply battery power to the ring generator to get the ring voltage?

Do I have to send the RGU a signal to generate the ring voltage? Is there a ring inhibit?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
You need 24 volts dc, once powered the ring gen sends an AC (less than 90 volts but I don't remember the amount) ring signal constantly to an slt card. The card had relays that applied the ring current to the slt port when needed and then the phone would ring. I suspect for a stage application you power up the ring gen and then you would connect the ring wires from the gen to a toggle switch with the other side of the switch going to the phone, You would turn the toggle off and on to simulate a "call ringing in". You could use a momentary push button to complete the circuit instead of a toggle.

Last edited by Derrick; 06/18/18 07:46 PM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024