web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rodava Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a small customer that is still nursing an XTS until they can afford a new phone system. They shrunk down to about 8 employees, two of which work from home. The 2 home phones are 7024D phones, and the 6 in the office are regular 3015 phones. The 2 IP phones connect in thru a LANB card.

This set up has worked fine for years now. Suddenly about a week ago, the 2 IP phones started locking up at the top of the hour, every hour. 8am, 9am, 10am, etc. The display looks normal but the speaker and hold/save buttons start flashing, and the phone is inoperable (no dial tone, buttons don't work, no calls come in). If they do nothing, the phones will come back to life after 10 minutes. If they unplug the phone and plug it back in, they get the "NO RESPONSE FROM MFIM" message, at which point if they unplug and replug one more time, then the phone starts working again. They don't need to cycle power on the KSU, but they have done that several times just for good measure, and that doesn't help.

This is one of the screwiest problems I've ever seen. I'm probably going to try swapping in a new LANB card, but I'm doubtful it will fix it. The fact that it's happening so regularly is what has me scratching my ass. I've never heard of a bad board that was doing abnormal behavior at regular intervals but works fine the rest of the time.

Anyone have any ideas?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
This sounds to me more like an internet provider issue than a phone system issue, like there is a wide area network ip conflict somewhere and when the device signs on with the same ip as the lanb ip card then things go screwy. I have seen this happen before.

Last edited by Derrick; 08/17/18 02:12 PM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Rodava Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Derrick. In my case, the LANB is programmed with an IP from the block of external IPs my customer got from FiOS years ago. Now if someone at FiOS assigned that same block to another customer a week ago (assuming the FiOS system will even let them do that), I would think the system would detect that pretty quickly. But as screwy as this problem is, I don't feel like I can rule anything out right now.

A network-related thought I had was there might be an app on the internet somewhere that sends a packet every hour, and the person who set up that app fat-fingered the destination IP address, and now my LANB card is getting it, and the packet messes up the LANB card. But I discounted that idea because of the IP phones coming back to life on their own 10 minutes later. One mystery packet coming in from the internet and screwing up the card I can easily see. But a second one coming in 10 minutes later and resetting the phones, that's pushing it.

I was hoping some LANB expert would chime in and say, "oh yea, the LANB cards have a timer built in that can sometimes turn itself on and run amok." Absent such a chime, I'll probably stick the LANB card behind a firewall. My recollection is that Vodavi equipment didn't work reliably with port forwarding, but it was okay with 1:1 NATing, so I'll set that up. I'll also block all ports except the VoIP ports. Maybe I'll get lucky and the problem will go away. If that doesn't do it, then it's time for Wireshark.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The lanb card won't reset itself, but the phones will. They usually keep polling the mifm until they make contact.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Have you turned a trace on and captured? Could it be a ddos attack? We had that happen at several sites and then it just up and quit one day, These weren't critical phones so when we ran the trace and saw the public IP address trying to connect to it we knew something was trying to log into it and bam the phones would go down.

Just a thought.

We have hundreds of Vpn users that have worked for years. Starting in August they have been logging off every hour. Seems to be with Comcast mainly. We ended up changing the encapsulation setting to overcome. https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Dropping-VPN-every-hour-Net-Neutrality/td-p/3139302

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024