web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bigmacx Offline OP
OP Offline
Our school has a Dukane MCS350 mounted on the wall. The computer portion has apparently failed and I'm wondering how hard it would be to connect a Raspberry PI to the analog portion and just output sound that way. I'm good with the PI interfacing and programming but need to know more about the 2-wire card in there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think we can just disconnect everything but the PS, Amp, 2-wire card, and speakers, then use the PI as the controller and sound input. The 2-wire card doesn't really seem that complicated with only a couple of connectors. Does anyone know where I can get more board-level diagram of at least the pinout descriptions for these connectors? It seems the dense 40pin'ish connectors select which speaker to output to and then a master audio input is fed into the board. I don't have manuals

Way I figure, it wouldn't be too hard to make the PI control the 2-Wire board if I knew more about those connectors. Any direct help would be great or even a push in the right direction would be appreciated. We're trying to use the existing premise wiring and such without buying a new system.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The speakers are all on a common bus when in the "off" position. The program relay keeps the amp disconnected from the speaker circuits when idle. You could bypass the program relay on each card and feed the 25V audio in that way. You won't be able to dial individual rooms or recoeve calls but you'd at least have audio out to each circuit.

To get individual rooms is way more complicated and require interfacing with the big ribbon cable on the front of the card. 4 of the pins are for board selector, the others are for circuit selector. But that's about the extent of my knowledge on it.

Are you trying to complete replace the MCS digital card with the Pi, that it to say, handle all of the system functions, the classroom callins, run the bell schedules with zones, master clock, get the ACCs working again etc..., or are you just trying to get audio to come out of it on an all call basis??

We have parts for this system that we could get to you to save you the trouble of reinventing the wheel. Click on the logo in my signature for more info.

Good luck!

Bigmacx Offline OP
OP Offline
Highest priority is to get the bell schedule working, so that just needs an ability to send out sounds. Secondary is for overhead announcement from a person at a single physical location, but that's easy once #1 is working. Frankly, this system was only ever used for those 2 functions and from what we've been quoted by the vendor, replacements for these card is prohibitively expensive. I don't even know which one is bad. There are ones for sale on eBay depending on what's needed. We're not ready to spend a lot and there's a crossover pricepoint of fixing this vs waiting to buy a drop-in current model that keeps the speakers/wires.

We do have the PI's and misc digital type resources on hand here to make small kinds of interfaces. I bet the circuit selector for individual rooms is just some TTL encoding on those 40pins. 16 channels would need either 16 discrete input selectors or some form of 4-bit binary. Since in the original design I believe multiple speakers could be activated, I bet the 40pin has 16 discrete lines somewhere with one tied to each of the 16 channels. The board seems easy enough to trace to the buffering IC's and reverse engineer the encoding just from that. Thought maybe someone here had a technical drawing or diagram of this card that might be helpful

Bigmacx Offline OP
OP Offline
Will someone tell me what these switches do? I there a table of options you could post? I don't have any documentation with our system. Thanks

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Tim10 will have your answer.

I will send him a PM for you.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
ACC switch = binary representation to the system of how many ACC consoles are connected to the system (1-4)
SW CARDS switch = binary representation to the system of how many switch cards are connected to the system (1-16)
OPTIONS = doesn't do much, I think one changes the RS-232 port from DCE to DTE, and the other was for a pocket pager interface that was never developed.
RESET = resets system, power cycles ACC consoles
STATUS = changes operation of LED indicators LD1-8 on board. In one position, it will show the communication between the ACC's and the digital card. In the other, it will display a binary representation of system errors.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 13
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 106 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024