Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Originally Posted by hbiss
The original HID high bay lighting is still there. I'm one if the few people who knows where the breakers are to turn them on which makes it real nice to work above the ceiling. -Hal

That is awesome. I wish I'd had lighting like that in some of the god-awful places I've had to work.

One of my first experiences with a Partner system was at the electrical supply house I worked at while in high school. Some dummy thought it was a good idea to mount it above the drop ceiling. Adding phones to that thing was such a p.i.t.a. Fortunately there was about 7 feet or so above that ceiling- it was over the office, the rest of the place had drywall ceilings about 15 feet up. Some lights up there would have been a godsend.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally Posted by Professor Shadow
I have a regular customer that occupies a space that was a warehouse. -Hal
agree

I worked on a new hospital construction that lasted a year and a half and there were LOTS of locations there you could not lift the ceiling to reach the cable tray and the glow rod. Too many obstructions:

• HVAC
  • Sprinkler systems
  • J-boxes
  • MC cable
  • Fire Devices
  • et cetera...

That is why I posted "visit the job site and lift a ceiling tile".

You ABSOLUTELY have to look at the space! This is not something you can give a price for over the phone as some cheap ass customers would want you to. NEVER give your base drop price to a customer who calls even if you preface the conversation by saying that you will have to see the job because they will hold you to it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I estimated work for many years and I always visited the site. Not doing so is just criminal.

As far as why there's so much space above the drop ceiling....One answer is cost. You'd have to heat and cool those 17' if you didn't drop the ceiling.

There is very good estimating software out there. It's NOT open source and it IS very expensive.

I taught the data portion of the estimating class for Local 3 IBEW for many years. I stopped when everyone started asking me about the new software. At the time it cost $5k+ and I had no access to it. I had been using spreadsheets for estimating, but there was no way they could compare to the new software.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
You would have to do a lot of big jobs to justify the cost of and need for estimating software. I don't think any of us here are in that boat.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
You would have to do a lot of big jobs to justify the cost of and need for estimating software. I don't think any of us here are in that boat.

-Hal
Individually I agree.

I have worked for the past 15 years with Big Electrical Contractors and $$$ for software has never been an issue, and with that being said, the previous 15 years were with companies did estimating with a pencil, legal pad and a calculator.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,769
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,454 Shoretel
188,308 CTX100 install
187,085 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 4
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024