web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
And that is why I made the suggestion of flipping tip and ring where they are connected to the network.

It's entirely possible that the contacts are dirty on the back of the dial. I've had to clean more than a few to get them working.

I knew the spades were going to be attached to those plastic strips, which is why I thought of flipping t&r at the network if it's only this phone. Maybe someone flipped them before, who knows. These things are all pushing 40+ years old. There's no telling who's been in there poking around. My advice is get the BSP, make sure everything is wired as it should be, if not, correct it, then move on to cleaning the dial contacts. No sense in beating your head against a wall if someone has changed a bunch of wires around. Make sure it's wired like it just left the factory, then start the real troubleshooting.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2
Moderator-1A2
Originally Posted by Touch Tone Tommy
It is highly likely that you have Tip and Ring reversed at the block for all 4 lines but not for the Intercom, and the other phones you have tested have polarity guards either built into the touch tone pads or installed as an adjunct.

Given that you can't easily swap those wires around..... The fix isn't to start cutting them off the strips and rearranging them.

Using a voltmeter, put the black probe on the white wire with the blue tracer, and the red probe on the blue wire with the white tracer. If the polarity is correct you should see a negative voltage somewhere around -48 volts DC. If you have a positive voltage, they're backwards at the block.

I don't know what your source of dial tone is, but if they are real phone lines or at least decent ATA's, you should get around -48 volts on hook voltage. Most add on intercoms only supply -24 volts but it works just fine. Check each line pair the same way. Each column of terminal screws is laid out the same way. The top two screws are tip and ring for each line. Tip is closest to the back of the phone. (Someone correct me if I'm coming down with CRS syndrome)

When you said that the conductors are connected to a "board" I assumed you meant the terminal area of the key. Now I see that you meant the wafers that allow the assembly process to go more quickly.

"I hear tones, they sound correct, but CBDT and this only happens on the 4 lines, intercom line work fine."

So, the dial generates the correct tones, and the intercom operates correctly. In the old days, the DTMF receivers in a CO were much more forgiving to frequency variations than the cheap(er) receivers in a local intercom. Nowadays, I'm not sure about the ATA's.

You hear tones when on a CO line, but you CBDT. The next thing to do is to put two sets on the same cable, press the same CO key on both, press the same TT button on both, and listen for a "beat." The suspect dial may be just a little off frequency. The adjusting slugs on the back of the dial can fix that.

Other than that, I guess 52 years of experience is not enough. I'm stumped.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
Thanks for the help guys.

I tried flipping the tip and ring on the network with no luck. So I had a idea of making a cross over cable for each line to reverse the tip and ring and it worked!!!!! The good part that the reversal of the tip and ring did not effect the other phones on the system.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 85 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024